potato sprouts

Mackay

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I saved potatoes for seed last fall and even though they were in the complete dark they sprouted long shoots..

If I plant them should I pull the shoots off first or plant them with those sprouts till on?

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'd say, sprouts and all. Just say that you started them indoors to get a jump on the growing season. :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have only used the very careful handling trying to leave the sprouted tubers intact.

However, that wasn't always successful. If you look at the eyes, you may notice that each has a number of places that are sprouting. There are or will be more than one sprout. Losing the most developed probably does little to slow growth or limit production.

Steve

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
One variety of mine tried growing out of the basement, too. I cut the sprouts back to about 2 inches and planted the spuds. All of mine are growing and doing well. I didn't want to break them off nor have them get sunburned, sticking out so far.

Mackay

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
thanks guys. Guess I will trim the spouts some as they are quite long and then plant... some are sending off roots too!

Latest posts