Potato

Wildsky

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I would love to hear how you save/preserve or freeze your potato.

I would like to have some ready to bake fries in the freezer - I normally just buy those.

What about long term preserving? Canning?

I don't have a pressure cooker, but do plan on getting one soon - I do have a dehydrator.

THANKS.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Personally I have no experience with preserving potatoes but did some research because we'll have a fall crop.

I did find this link that seemed pretty good. I bookmarked it for later myself.

Good luck!

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well, let's see....for me, potatoes in soups don't have have a nice consistency when frozen and thawed, so I make the soup without them if I plan to freeze it, and add the carb later. However, canning soup with potatoes in it usually tastes pretty good!

But 2ce baked potatoes are a huge hit. I bake the potatoes, empty them, making sure the skin remains intact, and put the insides into a large bowl.

Mash well with what you like. I usually add olive oil, butter, sour cream, sharp cheddar cheese, and lots and lots of finely minced chives. Plus salt and pepper.

Now, bake. Cool. Then freeze in Zip-locs. I reheat mine in a little convection oven. A microwave might work, I don't know much about them. Eat as a side, or a main dish with a green salad.

I haven't followed OaklandCityFarmer's link, but assume there's something on French fries there?

You can cook hashbrowns, then freeze, but you have to make them light. Don't overcook before freezing.

Basically, we don't put up potatoes much. Generally we just store them, and use them as we go.

Latest posts