Potatoes from Seed

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
IMG_20191211_090712.jpg
The new Jung catalog. I see the same variety in Seeds & Such.

"Variety" may be the wrong word but they have to call it something. Perhaps, "landrace" would be a better choice for Clancy. You will notice that it produces a number of skin and flesh colors.

I know that one could get potato seed from other sources but this would be convenient. Still .. 🤨.. apparently, we would need to grow the plants like tomatoes. Started indoors, they could be transplanted to the garden.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Perhaps not, @flowerbug .

For many years, I didn't grow potatoes. Variety selection wasn't available. I wanted something different than what was in the soopermarket. I have also come to realize that there is a reason for popularity. And yet, all potatoes fresh from the garden have special qualities.

When Yukon Gold potatoes first showed up, I resented that they appeared to be loaded with butter but didn't taste that way. I learned to overcome this prejudice and just add the butter. Admittedly, it's nearly as tho I must close my eyes to eat purple fleshed spuds.

Different varieties have different purposes and their best use should be acknowledged in the kitchen. There are varieties that have done much better in the garden than others. As with most anything, it is a very good thing to have a number of available choices.

Steve

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
View attachment 33893
The new Jung catalog. I see the same variety in Seeds & Such.

"Variety" may be the wrong word but they have to call it something. Perhaps, "landrace" would be a better choice for Clancy. You will notice that it produces a number of skin and flesh colors.

I know that one could get potato seed from other sources but this would be convenient. Still .. 🤨.. apparently, we would need to grow the plants like tomatoes. Started indoors, they could be transplanted to the garden.

Steve
It's a necessity to grow them indoors first... such fragile plants... I learned it the hard way... They didn't even last a week. I learned my lesson pretty well. Now, I have cherry and Cherokee Purple tomatoes, and they are gorgeous!!