Potatoes going to seed?

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i noticed a couple of mine are showing signs they might have berries too. i'm going to try and save them to see what happens. here's hoping for some interesting crosses. i have about 5 different types of potatoes going this year with the banana fingerlings and the Irish Cobbler showing signs they may produce those berries. my Purple Viking and All Blue are just starting to bloom and my Magic Molly i don't expect anything worth saving since they are a hybrid.

PhilaGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The more you mix those genes up, the more interesting the outcomes can be! :thumbsup

Potato varieties are propagated vegetatively to retain clonal characteristics; almost all are genetically diverse hybrids, so any crosses and even selfings (often limited by self-incompatibility) reveal a wealth of interesting traits in the offspring.

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Just logged in today after a month of workmen here for house repairs, so I've been away from the forum. Yes, I start half my potatoes from seed each year, and half from tubers saved from them the previous season. The only difference being the tubers have some stored energy should there be a late freeze they can come back; the seedlings may freeze. This way I am assured of some kind of harvest.

This year we had 50.25 inches of rain, most of it falling in June and July, creating widespread flooding. Most of my larger potatoes rotted, but we were able to salvage about 50 thumb-sized spuds of every color from both the tubers and seed grown plants. None of mine made it to berry this year. I have them in a bowl dusted with lime and everyone thinks they look like Swedish wedding cookies.

If anyone has potato seeds/berries they don't want, I would be glad to add them to my mix. The main reason I grow from seed is that I want a diverse set of genetics in my plants. Gardening here is tough, and I need that diversity to develop vegetables that can withstand the extremes, so the more genetics the merrier.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
My Daisy Gold potatoes have bloomed twice this year.

What an odd growing season. Record heat in June so that some locations had the highest temperatures ever - in any month. Now, this is our average hottest week. The thermometer may drop into the 40's Tuesday and Wednesday mornings.

Anyway, I will check those plants to see if they set seed.

Steve

Latest posts