Potatoes in a Bag

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I need to figure something else out because I'm out of bags and I was gifted a bunch of seed potatoes!! We can always use more potatoes LOL
Cardboard boxes. One year I used piles of leaves mixed with horse manure and lime. Got the biggest, prettiest potatoes I've ever grown!

Manda_Rae

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So the bag ones are doing great the bucket ones not so good

Attachments

• 20220608_134522.jpg
    20220608_134522.jpg
    509.3 KB · Views: 83

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
The experimentation is fun! Good job!

it is! :) it looks like the plants in the bucket might be having less success because they wouldn't be getting as much light being down so deep in that bucket. at times in the past when we've planted some annuals in pots and didn't have enough potting soil we'd put chunks of styrofoam or empty bottles with the caps still on in the bottom of the pot to help fill it up. this probably would not work out so great with potatoes as they probably want more space for their roots and tubers, but i've not done potatoes in containers before so i don't know what the lower limit is for them in terms of size of container.

Manda_Rae

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
it is! :) it looks like the plants in the bucket might be having less success because they wouldn't be getting as much light being down so deep in that bucket. at times in the past when we've planted some annuals in pots and didn't have enough potting soil we'd put chunks of styrofoam or empty bottles with the caps still on in the bottom of the pot to help fill it up. this probably would not work out so great with potatoes as they probably want more space for their roots and tubers, but i've not done potatoes in containers before so i don't know what the lower limit is for them in terms of size of container.
That makes sense because I actually rolled the sides down for the ones in the bag and then as they grew I rolled the bag back up and filled with dirt. So I'll likely just use the bags as the main source and then keep experimenting with other types

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, that's possible, so I use multi-layers. So far they are still holding very well.

:) sustained moisture is the issue, so anything you can do to add an air-gap between the layers and also drainage hole out the bottom and not put it directly on the ground so there is an air gap there too would probably help. such gaps will likely attract mice or other animals so it might be a trade-off to consider. if you have a lot of cheap boxes and can bury the debris after they're done then you've got free high carbon compost material - remove labels or plastic tapes before burying.

Latest posts