Potatoes...

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
vfem said:
I just checked and I have a sprout coming to the surface of my potatoes! :D
I'm sure you'll do fine. :)
I'd send you a couple of seed potatoes if you don't think it's too late!

unclejoe

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Greenthumb18 said:
Last year i had a problem getting good yield in potatoes, i think i might of finally figured out what i did wrong. I remember planting them towards the end of may to even mid June, i now know that potatoes don't tend to grow tubers when the summer heat hits it, the heat causes low yield it potatoes. Instead your suppose to plant potatoes so that when it does start producing tubers the summer' heat isn't on it. Would mid. to late April be a better time to plant potatoes in zone 6?
or do you think it would still be too late?

Thanks!!!
I asked the farmer that delivers our feed the same question last Sat. He told me a story that put it in prospective for me.
He got married on March 9. (in the mid-60's) On the 10th he got a call from his boss. On the 11th he was planting potatoes. Mine are in now. We're zone 6b.

inchworm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks, Uncle Joe. I plantyed on 3/21 in zone 6 and have been worrying that I was too early. Still waiting for a sprout....

Inchworm

the-metal-peddler

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Yes, I got my taters in...

bb.jpg
d-1.jpg

a-2.jpg
b-2.jpg

c-1.jpg
aa-2.jpg

Not shown, I also wrapped my baskets in clear plastic, due to freezing temps and wind.

Instead of one pound per seed potatoe, I will get 6-9 pounds per seed.

I use compost, straw and plain dirt in my baskets.

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
the-metal-peddler said:
This idea is awesome. I definitely want to try this next year. My potatoes are in the ground this year, but I really like this set up. Good luck!

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
How wide are those cages?
I see that you have close to a dozen potatoes in them so just wondering how big you built your cages.
What is the reason for mixing mix straw in?
I have heard of covering the potatoes with straw but not mixing it in the soil.
Its so interesting all the different ways our members plant potatoes.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
setter4 said:
vfem said:
I just checked and I have a sprout coming to the surface of my potatoes! :D
I'm sure you'll do fine. :)
I'd send you a couple of seed potatoes if you don't think it's too late!
That's really sweet but I am trying this in a pot this year, and I have 2 potato seeds in the pot. Now I have a sprout even if they don't do well, I feel like I had a great start for my first time.

If they do decent and I get to eat potatoes I will definitely order earlier next year!

Thanks, Uncle Joe. I plantyed on 3/21 in zone 6 and have been worrying that I was too early. Still waiting for a sprout....

Inchworm
Well I can say don't worry! I planted around the same time, maybe a couple day earlier and I just see a sprout breaking the surface now. You should be good to go.

My question now, is when is the best time to cover that sprout with a layer of straw and dirt? I think someone told me to wait until they have leaves out and at least 3" tall?!

P.S. - I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo jealous of those cages! That is awesome!!!! Maybe next year. *sigh*