Pots of Summer 2019

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here's one I planted with the big rudbeckia that were growing by the tack room. The tack room got moved and I dug the rudbeckia up to save them.

20190608_145336.jpg

A friend gave me the trough, it had holes drilled in the bottom already. I couldn't believe she didn't want it. I had been keeping an eye on CL looking for one that was priced reasonably.

To save on weight and not wanting to fill it completely with soil, and also since we are having some kind of record year with pinecone production, I put a deep layer of cones in the bottom, I used weed barrier to lay under the cones to slow the water down, and over the cones to keep the soil (100% composted horse biscuits) from sifting out.
20190430_151330(2).jpg

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here's one I planted with the big rudbeckia that were growing by the tack room. The tack room got moved and I dug the rudbeckia up to save them.

View attachment 32285

A friend gave me the trough, it had holes drilled in the bottom already. I couldn't believe she didn't want it. I had been keeping an eye on CL looking for one that was priced reasonably.

To save on weight and not wanting to fill it completely with soil, and also since we are having some kind of record year with pinecone production, I put a deep layer of cones in the bottom, I used weed barrier to lay under the cones to slow the water down, and over the cones to keep the soil (100% composted horse biscuits) from sifting out.
View attachment 32286
I put 12 oz water bottles in the bottom 1/2 - 1/3 of the largest pot. Sure saved on soil. Love the photo with dogs and horse.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I put 12 oz water bottles in the bottom 1/2 - 1/3 of the largest pot. Sure saved on soil. Love the photo with dogs and horse.

Not planned, they're all just a bunch of photo bombers.
Wren is looking weird because Zephyr the cat is lying to the left of her. She loathes cats, but knows better than to harass him in front of me.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
we've used gallon jugs of any kind for taking up space like that. hens and chicks don't need that much dirt anyways. :) funny about the dog vs. cat...

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow, that trough is in great shape too! I used gatorade bottles at the bottom since my husband and son always drink that yucky stuff.

Mary

Latest posts