Potting Benches

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am gathering ideas for an outdoor potting bench. It will have a small roof I think. You may even call it a gardening bench as some activity will include 15 gallon containers. Anyway, if I promise not to paint it in camouflage colors or neon pink, can I elicit a few functional suggestions from you about what you like about your setup?

GottaGo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Personal favorite, is an opening in the top with a plastic bin underneath to catch excess from transplanting or potting things for the deck.

Make sure there are enough cubbies, hooks or drawers for all the common tools of the trade, so they can be found when you need them. Mine get scattered especially when the DH is trying to 'help' lol.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
not that this would be easy to do, but when doing a lot of potting it would be nice to have a lift off to the side that you could plop the bag of mix or a tub of your own custom mix and be able to crank it up to be able to get it to where you can easily use it and scoop it without having to bend over or lift it yourself.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Personal favorite, is an opening in the top with a plastic bin underneath to catch excess from transplanting or potting things for the deck.

Make sure there are enough cubbies, hooks or drawers for all the common tools of the trade, so they can be found when you need them. Mine get scattered especially when the DH is trying to 'help' lol.

make sure any cubbies, nooks, etc. are able to be well sealed up or you may find bees, wasps, etc. taking up residence and exploring raccoons opening and removing things...

if i only had a big enough spot to store something like this i would want it on wheels so it could be brought in when not in use.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
make sure any cubbies, nooks, etc. are able to be well sealed up or you may find bees, wasps, etc. taking up residence and exploring raccoons opening and removing things...

if i only had a big enough spot to store something like this i would want it on wheels so it could be brought in when not in use.
I am planning on this one residing outdoors somewhere. I like the wheels though. And handles other end for transport. I fear no oddball wheelbarrow.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score

It is a good idea. My version is where I thought about an opening with multiple interchangable forms to which I can attach hardware cloth of different sizes. In fact it could be considered a compost screen system if it is wide enough to shovel compost up and then screen it into bags or bins. I do this already with round (screens) ones in a wheelbarrow.

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

Maybe add a cup holder off to the side where you can set your favorite ice cold refreshment! 😉