Potting soil

LVVCHAP

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Does anyone make their own potting soil? I read an article the other day about using peat moss from a bale and vermiculite but it didn't give any ratios.

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
LVVCHAP said:
Does anyone make their own potting soil? I read an article the other day about using peat moss from a bale and vermiculite but it didn't give any ratios.
Yes I do I mix many different potting soils. I picked up a nice cement mixer on craigslist, she was like new. Great for mixing soil or cement!
I don't measure per say, you tend to get a feel for the mix after a while.

zynski

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
There are lots of recipes for home made potting soil mixes. An important point to consider is that peat moss in any form has really fallen into disfavor for use. It is not a wise use of resources and will eventually be used up. It is the remains of ancient forests that have decomposed and it is dug out, mined, from large open pits. It is not a renewable resource. Peat doesn't offer any nutritional value as an addition to any soil. I use coir (koy-er) in place of the peat.

This is what I use when mixing up a potting mix. It's very simple.

Equal parts of Coir, vermiculite and fine screened compost.

Coir is a renewable resource made from processed coconut husks. It's environmentally friendly and a renewable resource. There's a lot of information about coir on the web.

Latest posts