Powdery Mildew- again!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last year I lost all the usual suspects to powdery mildew...I see it starting on my zucchini as we speak. Has anybody found a cure for this problem? I just read the posts under search- and it seems some people have had some luck with the milk solution...Any other ideas or comments? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have used the milk/water spray in the past and it worked pretty good for me. I liked it because it was so easy to do... and it worked! Amazing. Give it a try and good luck! :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know of fungicides for the ornamentals but I'm totally reluctant to spray them on food plants.

Zucchini is the most vulnerable to mildew in my garden also, Lesa. That's why I have a late planting.

It seems that most seasons, the plants are just useless by the late part of the season :/. Young plants may show some signs of mildew but they are far healthier :).

In my part of the world, I plant zucchini in May and again during the first few days of July. I gotta get the seed in before the 4th or they may not have time to produce before frosts.

It is nice to have an alternative to green beans for a Summer planting. I rotate out the early cabbage. The cabbage gets "hurried along" with zucchini seed planted between the cabbage before the heads can be harvested. But, they can't hang around too long. That early cabbage has to be gone so that the zukes can take over the space :p. And, it's about the same amount of room as needed for the Earliana or Early Flat Dutch cabbage.

Then I can turn a cold eye on the first planting of zucchini . . . ;). When they begin that downward spiral - out they go! Usually, that's about the time squash begins to come off the 2nd planting. But, I gotta say that the mildew doesn't always overtake the older plants near the end of Summer. Then, I've got zucchini like crazy :rolleyes:!!

Steve

jlmann

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Some people will disagree , but I have always had good luck with the LiquidCopper fungicides. I know it is a " chemical " , but it is approved for some " organic " uses. I think the copper in it mainly comes from animal fats. It's been around for years and if I remember right it can be used up to the day of harvest. One drawback is that it contains petroleum distilates ( like a lot of other things ) , so you'll have to make your own decision on whether you want to use it or not. Maybe try the milk first and if that doesn't work consider liquid copper. Not trying to start an argument about chemicals , but I have used it successfully on really persistant blights and powdery mildew in years past. Good luck!

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
A friend just told me about spraying 1 part milk with 8 parts water onto the affected leaves. I plan to try it on my zucchini plants. Good luck!

Latest posts