Powdery mildew?

GardenGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have yellow squash leaves with some round, white, fuzzy patches. Only a few of them have it so far, but I'm guessing it is powdery mildew. We have been having a very long humid spell here and I have been trying to do everything to avoid this, but I have it.

What can I do to get rid of it with common household items. I don't want to get a commercial spray if I can help it. We have been trying to do things pesticide and chemical free because our toddler loves to eat right out of the garden.

Thanks for any help!

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Water the plants really well so that they will stay hydrated for a few days with no problem.

Mix 2 tablespoons of baking soda, 1 teaspoon of liquid dish soap (make sure it's just regular ole dish soap) in 1 gallon of water. Spray this liberally on the plants. I would apply this weekly and make a couple of applications. A spray of 1 part milk to 5 parts water will help prevent powdery mildew as well. You should apply this to new growth as it comes out to help prevent further infestation.

Good luck!

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
is this a place where a fungicidal soap would cure it as well? Is your cure just the organic version?

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Right a cooper spray or sulfur spray would work fine here as well.

The poster asked for a solution using household items which is why I posted what I did. Basically use what works well for you!

Good luck!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have read that a 10% solution of skim milk (that is, 1 part skim milk plus 9 parts water) sprayed on the foliage will help. Have never tried it myself (I just avert my eyes from things with powdery mildew, as at least on perennials and lilacs it does not really seem to harm them).

Good luck,

Pat

GardenGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the ideas. I think I'll try the baking soda and dish soap first. Does powdery mildew hurt plants? I thought you had to get rid of it if it was on veggies. If I can't control it is it a bad thing? I know it looks horrible.

I was told that copper and sulfur products can burn plants if not used correctly. I don't think I'd like to take the chance with my luck. ;)

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
GardenGirl said:
Thank you so much for the ideas. I think I'll try the baking soda and dish soap first. Does powdery mildew hurt plants? I thought you had to get rid of it if it was on veggies. If I can't control it is it a bad thing? I know it looks horrible.

I was told that copper and sulfur products can burn plants if not used correctly. I don't think I'd like to take the chance with my luck. ;)
On most annuals (including squash and most veggies) powdery mildew can eventually kill the plant or at least cause stunting of the plant.

And you are right copper and sulfur products can burn plants.

Good luck!

chickenboy8

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I can't kill the mildew. My plants are almost dead is there anything else that kills it.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
chickenboy8 said:
I can't kill the mildew. My plants are almost dead is there anything else that kills it.
What have you tried?

There are some non organic methods that you should be able to find. Horticultural oils can also help.

chickenboy8

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I tried the baking soda and soap. My plants look like they are almost dead.

Latest posts