Praying Mantis!

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've noticed several times when visiting the garden from time to time I've spotted a few praying mantis in my garden. I've only starting seeing them last year but this year I'm seeing more of them, which is a good thing since their beneficial insects. I know that their not pests but didn't know where to put this post. I think everyone needs to have these "good guys"around the garden their so interesting! :)

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I love having them around. The way they turn their head to look at you is eerie.

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
They are my FAVORITE garden bug!

6a00d8341c2d2753ef015433e31d1a970c-800wi

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Are you seeing those in NY? I have not found one in my garden- I am jealous! They were quite common years ago, when I was living in Maryland. Enjoy your cool bugs!!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The New York/New Jersey area is where they were first released when they were imported from China years ago. They had hoped they would attack japanese beetles. They didn't do a good job of that but they are still a useful predator for larger insects. I'm old enough to remember when they were still quite new to most people.

eucalyptus

Leafing Out
Reaction score
You're so lucky to be able to stumble upon these little creatures, they're beautiful! Nice idea to point out that they're the 'good guys' too :)

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
years ago I used to buy mantis eggs to help with pests...I have moved since then so dont know if they are still there If I had some now my chickens would probably eat them...they are my bug stoppers now

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That is a great way of introducing some praying mantis to your garden by buying mantis eggs. I haven't seen anymore of those praying mantis since writing this post but I hope their still around some where in the garden.

lesa,

:) Yes I'm seeing the praying mantis in my garden in NY. It is quite cool to be able to see them natural in the garden.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i haven't seen any yet this year in this area. every year i see one hanging around in my parents yard by their maple trees. beautiful bright green just like the maple leaves! i don't think my yard has enough lush cover for them yet. but it is in the works!