Preparing soil

Kristie

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hi there!
Newbie gardener here. This will be my 3rd year planting a small crop. I have 4 4x8 rAised beds that are roughly 16 inches deep. Last years crop didn't do good at all. I am coming to realize there is more to gardening than just throwing dirt in a raised beds and putting seeds in it.... I have started a compost pile and will incorporate that into my beds. My question is what else should I include in my soil to insure a nice crop? From what I have read online some people suggest testing the soil with a soil kit? Do I need to throw some garden soil in the beds as well with all the goodies or will the compost be plenty? Please excuse the ignorance :) still learning!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Kristie, you might talk to your county extension office about a soils analysis. I don't know what it costs in Texas, in Arkansas it's free. All I have to do is take a couple of quarts of dirt to the extension office and a few weeks later I have a printout of what nutrients are in my soil and recommendations of what I need to add. A big one is pH, the acidity or alkalinity of my dirt. Most garden crops want it slightly acid but not too much.

I think adding compost is always a good idea. It makes a sandy soil hold moisture better, a clay soil drain better. It improves texture no matter what soil you have. And it adds nutrients. But what else you need to add depends on what soil you have now.

Kristie

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Kristie, you might talk to your county extension office about a soils analysis. I don't know what it costs in Texas, in Arkansas it's free. All I have to do is take a couple of quarts of dirt to the extension office and a few weeks later I have a printout of what nutrients are in my soil and recommendations of what I need to add. A big one is pH, the acidity or alkalinity of my dirt. Most garden crops want it slightly acid but not too much.

I think adding compost is always a good idea. It makes a sandy soil hold moisture better, a clay soil drain better. It improves texture no matter what soil you have. And it adds nutrients. But what else you need to add depends on what soil you have now.
I will give the extension agent a call today! Thanks so much for the advice! :)

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome to our group Kristi! Having great soil is the key to a great garden. You need to work on your soil and make it the best that you can. Find out what you have and then work from there. Add tons of compost.

Mary

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome. Just remember more nutrients may not be a good thing. A lot of nitrogen will make some plants make more foliage and less fruit. It's a balance. Extension people along with neighboring gardeners, posters here will all try to give you some good suggestions--we'll do our best to keep you confused as to what to do..... it's the joy of raising and eating what you did. Unless you are into flowers...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sixteen inches to work with is quite a lot. What soil did you use? It sounds like it may have been trucked in.

We have a number of companies around here that sell what they call their "3 way mix." I have seen other gardeners in other parts of the US use that term for what they bought. Here, it's said to consist of sand, top soil and compost. I doubt if there is the any ingredient that could be compared from place to place.

Since there is no standard on what is called top soil, we have to take the company's word for its origin and quality. When I think of the subsoil here, some gardener's description of it as "unkind" comes to mind - unkind subsoil. We only want a fraction of subsoil in our cultivated garden soil. Certainly, we don't want 33% or anywhere close to it!

Compost decays, of course. In your climate, I imagine that the decomposition occurs much more quickly but it's essentially gone in just a few years time here. People who have bought the mix from some of the soil companies are left with low quality dirt and sand. That is, they are left with that without their conscientious applications of new organic material.

One of the best ways to add organic matter is to grow it and turn it under. Grow something. Tend it enthusiastically! Even if it isn't valued as a kitchen vegetable; it probably has great value to soil organisms. They are working for you to create fertile garden soil. It may take several years to achieve fertility but the value to your future garden plants is increasing.

Best of Luck in your 2017 Garden.

Steve

Latest posts