Preserving Chili Peppers

RidgebackRanch

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
We have some chili peppers that need to be harvested this weekend to encourage a second harvest. Normally I would roast them and make hot sauce but we are under a local open burn ban so that is not an option.

Does anybody know what would be the best way to preserve them for later use for the same purpose? When I make hot sauce the peppers are roasted on a charcoal grill and given a light smoke with water soaked wood chunks. Then they are pureed and sent through a food mill to remove seeds and skin.

Could I just blanch them, put in an ice bath and then freeze? Or should I roast them quickly with the weed torch and then freeze, or should I do something else?

Any suggestions would be great!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Could you just freeze them right off the vine? Maybe try several different things, blanch some, weed torch some, see what works best.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Seriously though what about the food saver? Might be worth trying to halve them raw and save them that way. Then when its safe, put them on a grill grate or some kind of grill basket so you still have enough pepper to work with and then smoke them.

Just tossing out ideas here

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ridgeback, I roast mine on a comal (grill type pan) on the stove. You could probably use a cast iron griddle or just roast them over the flame on a gas stove.

Mary

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
a weed torch - what an idea. I love it.
I have some gorgeous chili peppers & didn't really know what to do with them. glad ridgebackranch brought it up

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yeah i've roasted peppers in the oven...they prolly wont have the same amazing smoked flavor you're used to though...

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Is there no way to put a lid on your grill? Once they are frozen, I don't know how well they would take the smoke. Would this be an option? There are no open flames.

RidgebackRanch

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
We do have a food saver. I think I'll try that and freeze them until I can fire up the Weber for half the day!

Thank you all for your input :)

Latest posts