Pressure canner recommendations?

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Think about weight, height, convenience of use and price. If your range hood is low, the taller, heavier canners are going to be a pain in the butt....every time you use them. If you have a glass top stove, they put a lot of stress on those as well...it's recommended not to even use the canners on the glass top stoves but you can get by with it with the lighterweight and smaller canners.

Seals don't go bad as often as people claim and they are cheap and easy to replace. If you get one of the more common brands, the seals are also easy to find. I love the ease of the rubber gasket canners as you don't have to tighten down all those knobs all over the canner each time you apply the lid...just sit it down, swivel it sideways and you have a seal. Done and done. Same with removal...twist the lid sideways, lift straight up. It's a time saver, it's easy and I love it.

My mother started out with an All American, back when they just had a gauge but no weighted jiggler. She was canning on a wood stove back then, so hard to get the right pressure anyway, but add to it the fact that the pressure gauge climbs silently...have to keep checking it. Well, when you are prepping veggies and fruit for 100 qts of food per type of veggie or fruit, you have no time to hang around watching a gauge. It creeps up...and then ensue the stories of canners exploding that discourage many generations to come from ever trying canning at all.

She soon got rid of the heavy cumbersome All American with the scary gauge and moved onto a lighterweight Presto canner with a jiggler weight that let her know at all times where the pressure was as she continued to work across the kitchen. Thousands upon thousands of qts later, we are still in love with the canners that are cheap to be bought, cheap to maintain, won't kill you to lift, easy to manage and monitor and still get the job done. In the past 40 yrs of canning we've had to replace two seals on two separate canners...one an ancient Mirro we borrowed from an older lady just some years ago. One time it was the old Presto that we had used for 20 odd years by the time it finally needed a new seal.

I am currently using a small Mirro, cost me $38 and free s/h off Amazon and I LOVE this thing. I'm canning a lot less than we did back then, so don't need a big tall canner I can stack stuff in. It also fits under our low range hood with much room to spare, doesn't break my back to lift, clean or store away. I can only can 7 qts at a time, but that's fine with me...we aren't canning 100 qts at a time now for each veggie we grow. Max we do now is around 40-50 qts per item, if that on some items. The smaller, jiggle weight canner is just right for us.

It all comes down to what you need, how it fits your stove or style, how much you want to spend and why, etc. Don't be afraid of canners with the seals...they rarely go bad and they are very easy to use. I'd advise definitely getting a weighted jiggler/spinner gauge, especially as a newbie canner...they can help you keep on top of your pressures and you can then multitask. After that,it all comes down to preference.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm pretty much with Bee on this. My canner is a Presto that can pressure can 18 regular mouth pints or 7 quarts. It can hot water bath can 9 regular mouth pints or 7 quarts, wide mouth or regular.. Don't know if you are canning pints or quarts, but my recipe for dried beans calls for pressure canning. How much canning do you plan to do?

What is your elevation above sea level? That will determine what pressure you need. If you are below 1,000 feet, 10 psi works. If you are above that the lower air pressure requires a higher canning pressure to get the temperature inside the jar you need. There are different formulas for that but the one I use at 1150 feet gives me a pressure of 11.5 psi minimum. For waterbath I add 5 extra minutes.

Mine uses a rubber gasket. I don't have an extra gasket on hand but I do have an extra rubber pop-off valve. That's a small rubber plug that blows out if you get to a certain pressure. If it blows you'll get a lot of steam in the kitchen but no shrapnel. All the newer ones will have safety devices like that. In about ten years I've replaced the gasket twice. I can a lot.

Mine is a gauge you have to watch. I can appreciate the benefits of a rocker. Rockers come in different weights so what is your elevation?

What kind of cook top do you have? If it is a glass top talk to the manufacturer about it. Those canners are really heavy but also they trap a lot of heat at the stove top level. Some glass top cook tops can handle it, most can't. I have a Whirlpool with coils and got a special heating coil for canning. It has extra support brackets and sets a little high to let that heat escape. I got it online.

That's the highlights for me. I think the rest has been covered.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
My elevation is under 1000', @Ridgerunner , so thanks for the pressure info. Will be cooking on a gas range.

I grow about a dozen beans each year & will can them separately in small batches, so I can observe & adjust for differences between them. So I don't need a super-sized canner for that purpose. It is possible, though, that I might try some pressure cooking recipes as well... haven't made my mind up about that yet, we've lived without pressure cooking for 40 years, and can't miss what we never had. :D It would be really great to can some of DW's great soups though... she never did know how to make small batches. :drool At present, we just freeze the excess... but canning would allow us to free up more space in the freezer for other things.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't really can. The only thing I make is my salsa but I water bath that. Can I use a pressure cooker for that? What would be the advantage?

The thing I don't like about water bath is that it takes a long time for the water to come to a boil. It also scares me lowering the jars into it.

Mary

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got mine from Walmart.com - delivered to the house & less than $70 - pretty sure it is Presto. It does a good job and still works hard during the summer. It only fits 9 pints and 6 or 7 quarts. I don't do enough of those to remember off the top of my head. It's Great for starting out - and will do you just fine for 'normal' canning. I have a friend who cans like a mad woman - hours and hours and hours almost every day all summer long. She has half a dozen of them. One that will can double layers of pints. I'm considering if I'd get enough use out of a bigger one to justify the cost - which is SUBSTANTIAL.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't really can. The only thing I make is my salsa but I water bath that. Can I use a pressure cooker for that? What would be the advantage?

The thing I don't like about water bath is that it takes a long time for the water to come to a boil. It also scares me lowering the jars into it.

Mary

Miss Mary, try a steam canner....sooooo much faster, lighter, less water, no chance of jar breakage and you'll never go back to a WB canner. I don't even own one any longer...switched to a steam canner years back and am in love. Anything you can do in a WB canner, you can do in a steam canner and use the same times~without having to wait for all that water to boil. You can get one for around $40 and they were WELL worth the money.

41j56CF1fhL.jpg

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
OK, now I'm confused.
I thought there were 2 kinds of canning... water bath and pressure. What is that gizmo?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
http://www.healthycanning.com/steam-canning/

I had not heard of it either Cane but here is a pretty good article on it. It has recently been studied and is now approved with a few qualifications. But basically you use the same times as for water bath canning. It is faster, uses less water, and uses less energy heating the water.

There are different kinds of steam canners. Some are like the one Bee showed, some are deep with a flat lid so they can be used for water bath also. As much jelly and jam as I can I may do some investigating whether I can use my pressure canner for this method, just leave the rocker off so the steam escapes. I imagine I'd have to let it steam for ten minutes or so to make sure all the air is out and it is just steam inside. Still that might save some time and energy costs.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
OK, now I'm confused.
I thought there were 2 kinds of canning... water bath and pressure. What is that gizmo?

It does water bath style canning, but with the use of steam, though the steam is not under pressure. It's just a quicker way to get the jars up to the proper temps than the boiling water, as the steam is hotter. Less water used too.

Everyone I've talked to with a steam canner loves their's as much as I love mine. No more worries about getting jars up to temps so they won't break in the boiling water, no more heavy huge pots on the stove...then having to start all over if you have a jar break in the water, etc.

Just very light gauge aluminum pot, a few inches of water in the bottom, jars sitting on a rack, steam holes out the side. You heat it until you have a 10 in. steam plume coming out the the holes on each side and then start your timer. Easy peasy lemon squeezy. I even can sweet corn in my steam canner as it's a horrible product if you pressure can it.

Latest posts