Pressure canner recommendations?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
we don't do any pressure canning and only oven can (not approved method any more but it is what we do). nothing low acid. we freeze soups and low acid things.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
broke one water bath canning..:hide "POP" bottom came right off clean as a whistle

Same here. First time and also the last time, too, as I then purchased a steam canner. I just didn't have time to preheat jars for canning and worrying about not getting them hot enough for the boiling water. Nor did I have time for emptying that whole pot to clean out the jar contents and start over.

As Sweet Brown says, "Nobody's got time for that!" :D

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Miss Mary, try a steam canner....sooooo much faster, lighter, less water, no chance of jar breakage and you'll never go back to a WB canner. I don't even own one any longer...switched to a steam canner years back and am in love. Anything you can do in a WB canner, you can do in a steam canner and use the same times~without having to wait for all that water to boil. You can get one for around $40 and they were WELL worth the money.

41j56CF1fhL.jpg
Oh no, I bought a WB canner last fall.

Mary

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've only had a jar break once. I accidently banged it against another one and I guess it must have cracked.

It says the steam comes out of the hole. Do you ever come close to getting burned?

Mary

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've only had a jar break once. I accidently banged it against another one and I guess it must have cracked.

It says the steam comes out of the hole. Do you ever come close to getting burned?

Mary

As in all things when dealing with steam...be careful. That goes for all of canning, I suppose...hot things abound.

Latest posts