Pressure Canner - what do you have and how do yu like it?

robbobbin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
ooooo good call on the Ball canning guide! I use mine everytime I can, I'm still learning.
Last season I used hot water bath canning, and did ok-but had a few failures. Good thing is, my husband got onboard with my plans. I put in a request for the biggest pressure cooker canner he could find-for my xmas present. He got me a 23qt presto. woohoohoo! I knew I could count on his ever pressent 'got to have the best' issues! hehehe
I remember grandma using a big old presto and I'm excited to fire it up. It's still in the box-shiny new, cuz we got a ft of snow on the ground and even though I tease about hitting the produce market and trying it. I'll be much happier if I can my first item from something we grow. So I wait! and keep checking my reflection in it!

2dream

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I have a old Mirror. Not sure exactly how old but we have had it for 11 years and it was used when we got it. Only had to replace the gasket one time and that was this past year. I have no idea what size it is but I do know I love that thing.

We don't can inside we use a propane burner and set up on the front porch. Keeps the house from heating up.

SKR8PN

Sprout
Reaction score
Robbobbin, your gonna LOVE that new pressure canner!!
I just received my order from Presto today. I ordered an extra upper and lower handle,two pressure gauges, and extra popup lid locker thing, and two extra lid seals, just in case something happens halfway thru a canning session, we have spare parts!!:D:D

robbobbin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
oh yeah good idea, spare parts. I'm gonna go check out their website now. I'd have never thought of extra handles though.

ncchixlady

Sprout
Reaction score
How do you can chicken and does it taste like fresh chicken? The stuff you buy in the cans doesn't taste like chicken at all adn I was just curious about canning fresh.

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have a Presto that's as old as the hills. I replaced the gasket 2 years ago and now I can't get the darn lid to latch! Arrgghh!

Latest posts