pressure canner

brad

Leafing Out
Reaction score
What's all this talk of beans no good to can? Shame on the lot of you! :smack :lol:

I grew up on canned green beans, and now with a family of my own we can them too and my kids love them. It's about the only vegetable I can get them all to consistently eat (especially my ultra picky daughter). The variety we prefer is Jade, and after we switched to that I decided I never wanted another variety of green bean in my life. In my opinion the Jade is some kind of super bean - tastes awesome, stringless, cans and keeps well. We end up eating half the jar as we graze around the kitchen before we even have a chance to warm them up on the stove - they're that good.

We also use an All-American canner (can't remember the size - it was the medium one that holds 7 qts+) on a smooth-top stove (run-of-the-mill GE model) and have never had any issues. Last summer we put up over 50 quarts of Jade green beans - we're down to less than 10 now and this year's crop is about 4" tall.

http://parkseed.com/bean-jade/p/05028/

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I think that the problem most people have when preserving beans is that they think any bean can be canned or frozen.
There are beans that will take the canning well and there are some that do not can well they will either fall apart or get hard as rocks.
A good seed Co. should state weather or not the bean is good for canning, freezing, fresh or good for shipping.

A good example of what I'm talking about is Stokes Seeds,

Bush Blue Lake 274 (Bean/bush) - 9B
55 days.Unique flavor and slow fiber and seed development in the pod make this strain popular for fresh market or processing. Dark green, round pods average 6 in./15 cm, dwarf bushy plants are tolerant to BV-1; NY-15. White seed. 2 oz. package sows 18 ft/6 m.

Jade II (Bean Green Bush) - 20J
60 days. Very dark green 5-6 in./12-15 cm, 4 sieve oval/round pods. Excellent to freezing, shipping or fresh market. Good tolerance to CBMV. White seed.

Secretariat (Bean/bush) - 15J
51 days. Extra early, medium green Bronco type, round pods average 5-6 in/14-15 cm. For fresh market or shipping. Tolerant to CBMV. White seed.

Inspiration (Bean Green Bush) - G20S
56 days. High quality, dark green, very straight 5.8in./14.75 cm, 3.5 sieve pods. Very tender with exceptional eating quality for fresh market. High tolerance to CBMV, BCTV and hot weather. White seed.

Beans through Stokes that do not state Processing of Freezing are meant for fresh use.

Chris

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
That's a very good point Chris. I wasn't aware of the differences variety could make in the specific way you use your beans.
Thanks!
We found this out some time back when we ended up throwing out about 25 qt. of canned green bean to the chickens luckily we also canned some other beans that were for canning.

Burpee Seeds also will state there uses,

Bean, Blue Lake 47 Bush
We succeeded in boosting the flavor and tenderness of an all-time favorite bean. Virtually fiber-free, Blue Lake 274 tastes great, produces prolifically over a long season, and is excellent fresh or frozen. The upright, medium-thick pods are plump, tasty and at their flavorful peak when 6" long. Pick daily to enjoy a bountiful and extended harvest. No trellis or poles are required for this bush type bean. Full sun.

Bean, Tenderpod Bush
This 1941 AAS winner remains a customer favorite. Why? Because the beans stay tender, stringless and ever so tasty when fully mature. Bush bean pods are 4 - 5 long, thick and round in cross section, with distinctive curved tips. Superb as a dried shell bean. 50 days.

Bean, Tenderpick Bush
Plants yield early and need no support. One packet has 2 oz. of seed unless noted, and will sow a row of about 20 ft; one pound sows about 160 ft. Our seed is not treated. Great flavor, similar to Tenderpod, with improved germination. Vigorous plants produce heavy yields of straight, 5", dark green, tender pods with curved tips and white seeds. Superb for fresh eating, canning and freezing. Burpee Bred

Chris

Latest posts