Butternut was a success.

QSE0Bm1.jpg

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
@Ridgerunner,
'We are looking at getting a whole-house generator that runs on natural gas."
We switched over both our boiler AND we have a switch for our (inside) generator--it's in the basement--to natural gas as soon as we realized that we could. That was about 15 years ago. NOW, when there is a power outage it just runs. We can crack a basement window for ventilation. It runs most things, not the microwave, but all of the lights, EVEN in the barn, ironically.
Make that switch ASAP!! :hugs

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I bought extra rice in the last few weeks. I felt so Domestic! I was cleaning out jars and figured out how to make a better seal on these freebie mason-type jars with glass lids. Don't want to overkill, but right now a smaller bag of rice at Aldi is a few bucks, and a bigger bag of rice at Rural King is $5. Both places are selling it Now for about $1/pound.
As long as it doesn't get wet or a rodent gets into it, it will keep for years.
I Challenge the mouse to run the gambit in My house Past whatever one of my 7 cats is patrolling!!!
One of my good kitties burrowed into the bedspread by the pillows yesterday, searching of Course for mice.
Rice, 11-05-21.jpg

Rammy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I bought extra rice in the last few weeks. I felt so Domestic! I was cleaning out jars and figured out how to make a better seal on these freebie mason-type jars with glass lids. Don't want to overkill, but right now a smaller bag of rice at Aldi is a few bucks, and a bigger bag of rice at Rural King is $5. Both places are selling it Now for about $1/pound.
As long as it doesn't get wet or a rodent gets into it, it will keep for years.
I Challenge the mouse to run the gambit in My house Past whatever one of my 7 cats is patrolling!!!
One of my good kitties burrowed into the bedspread by the pillows yesterday, searching of Course for mice.View attachment 45133
And yet there is no pic if this ferocious mice hunting predator hunting for mice under the bedspread? 😂😂🐀🐱

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've finally begun to seriously stock up with non-perishables. Probably a couple hundred pounds of dried beans, dried peas, bags and bags of rice, jumbo cans of tomatoes, many types of flour, assortment of nuts, huge bucket of coconut oil. Many jugs of pink salt, some sugar, vinegar jugs, brown rice pastas. Will probably look out for a good deal on olive oil or some other good fats next. Got a generator as well.
I've never seen a huge bucket of coconut oil :drool

I have stocked up in my variants of flower butter beans and lentils

We have had no public transport here due to strikes and travelling was almost impossible through the lockdown.

Winter is supposedly around the corner but who knows because here we are in November and this morning it's warm :hu

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've never seen a huge bucket of coconut oil :drool

I have stocked up in my variants of flower butter beans and lentils

We have had no public transport here due to strikes and travelling was almost impossible through the lockdown.

Winter is supposedly around the corner but who knows because here we are in November and this morning it's warm :hu
I think we got the coconut oil bucket at Costco @Marie2020 . I hope it keeps since there is so much of it; I do use it for lots of stuff - a topical ointment, and as a moisturizer for dry skin.

Latest posts