Price increases and shortages

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Two huntings this week - now the pantry and the freezers are at a pretty good capacity.

Saturday is usually the best day for food rescue because supermarkets are closed on Sunday. That means whatever "best before" today and tomorrow will be thrown away on Monday. When I noticed these salmons this Monday, I didn't think they could sell every package before Saturday.

Maybe the employees had a busy day, till evening they didn't put the 50% discount stickers on. After confirming with the shop manager, I brought all food that due today or tomorrow to her and got everything labeled appropriately. Well, it's absolutely a win-win-win situation.

1128.jpg

1127.jpg

Another hunt earlier this week - I didn't realize earlier that even via rescuing those "best before today or tomorrow" food, we can get a good variety of ingredients from a discounter.

948.jpg

947.jpg

If there is anything that I would still complain about - the plastic packaging is overwhelming. 😨 Before those packages go into a recycling bin, cutting them into smaller pieces can save a lot of space.

1142.jpg

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Two huntings this week - now the pantry and the freezers are at a pretty good capacity.

Saturday is usually the best day for food rescue because supermarkets are closed on Sunday. That means whatever "best before" today and tomorrow will be thrown away on Monday. When I noticed these salmons this Monday, I didn't think they could sell every package before Saturday.

Maybe the employees had a busy day, till evening they didn't put the 50% discount stickers on. After confirming with the shop manager, I brought all food that due today or tomorrow to her and got everything labeled appropriately. Well, it's absolutely a win-win-win situation.

View attachment 46093

View attachment 46094

Another hunt earlier this week - I didn't realize earlier that even via rescuing those "best before today or tomorrow" food, we can get a good variety of ingredients from a discounter.

View attachment 46095

View attachment 46096

If there is anything that I would still complain about - the plastic packaging is overwhelming. 😨 Before those packages go into a recycling bin, cutting them into smaller pieces can save a lot of space.

View attachment 46097
Wow, your market gives a really great discount. I wish. :idunno The store nearest me just marks all the meat down by one dollar... then throws it away.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wow, your market gives a really great discount. I wish. :idunno The store nearest me just marks all the meat down by one dollar... then throws it away.
Sadly, they throw those ingredients quickly away.

There are four major discounters in most places in Germany. However, only this one (Lidl) is willing to provide a 50% discount and let customers who have the demands solve the problem together. The rest three offer only up to 30%.

I didn't think about using these discounted ingredients seriously in the past until one late evening; I found there were still ten packages of beef sitting sadly there on the shelf. They had almost no fat and wouldn't be suitable for making any steak. However, they were the perfect food for our rawfed cats and dogs. I brought all of them back. Since then, I started taking a closer look every time we went there for routine shopping.

After several months, we realized that we had saved a lot of money and got some fun. We go there twice a week and get around at least ten different ingredients. The entire family now enjoys what we get from such treasure hunts.

Yesterday I was pretty happy to see the shop manager's reaction when we told her some food would be due on Sunday. If I can give it a fancy term, it would be a "consumer-driven, zero-food-waste oriented quality management." :lol:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow! That’s some great results from careful hunting trips! Beautiful yummy ingredients that you will make delicious meals for your family.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I’m always amazed by how good the quality seems to be. Most of the things I see you post (especially produce and fish) are better quality on sale than the new stuff they bring in here. Anything that gets put on sale here is completely dried out or half rotten(including meat).
Weirdly, some stuff looks terrible even they are still fresh. It happens here, too. You can see whatever inside is already rotten or in a strange status from the package.

However, most of the best-before today/tomorrow products I have found are still quite good. Restaurants that use such ingredients and make delicious dishes with much lower prices have become more popular in Europe. It is too complicated to run a restaurant, but at a personal level, I'd love to do the same thing.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I’m always amazed by how good the quality seems to be. Most of the things I see you post (especially produce and fish) are better quality on sale than the new stuff they bring in here. Anything that gets put on sale here is completely dried out or half rotten(including meat).
That is what I was thinking too. Good quality and things like that fish would cost an arm and a leg here. Our organic food does not even come from the USA most of the time.