Price increases and shortages

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Many things have gone back up in pricing here. Plywood is terribly expensive, couldn't finish my barn add-ons. Using sheep panels & tarps until prices return to normal.
Vets charge a covid related fee now, too.
I even had to raise my lamb pricing. =/

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
DW & I went shopping yesterday, at several places. The formerly ubiquitous chicken breasts are really scarce... but people aren't desperate enough to resort to the higher-priced organic chicken (yet). Chicken thighs, on sale just a couple months ago, are nowhere to be found. Nothing left but drumsticks, and over-priced chicken tenders. I suspect that we'll need to get up early now, to get the chicken as soon as possible after it hits the coolers. :(

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Fertilizer has more than doubled. Hay will be in short supply. If anybody has animals, find last years hay and buy it now. Farmers won’t be able to afford the diesel for their tractors and will simply cut production.

Ranchers are selling off cattle that they won’t be able to afford to feed. Beef is already high, now it will be even higher and scarce. Even when things finally improve, it will take several years to restock the breeding stock.

We are getting hit will galloping inflation, the likes that we have not seen since the Jimmy Carter presidency. One term was enough of that and it took the first half of Reagan’s term to bring the insanity under control.

I remember long lines at gas pumps and only being able to buy 5 gallons every other day. Rationing will come.

Mortgage interest rates hit 20%.

It’s going to get a whole lot worse before it gets any better. Buy all you can, prices will be higher next week.

Throw in the Russia attack on Ukraine and there goes the stock markets. Retirement accounts and investments are already taking a hit.

I’m not normally such a pessimist but reality isn’t always pretty. Do the best you can to prepare for hard times.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
We're sitting tight... and planting more beans.

you knew i was gonna heart this right? :)

Unfortunately if everyone runs out to 'buy now!', it will cause the prices to increase and create shortages; it's kind of a double-edged sword.

eta: I practice long-term food storage

yes, also start a local gardening group and seed swap. today i finally talked to the director of our local library and i'm going to have a monthly meeting and see how it goes. mini-seed-swap too. she will do the paper advertisement with her weekly library lines and also put it on the library facebook page. so we'll see how many people will show up. at the worst, i sit there and read for a few hours. this will be so good for me too just to get out once in a while. i really miss the people i used to see all the time.

Latest posts