Price increases and shortages

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
We Have a year's supply of tp, and of paper towels, and baby wipes and clothes detergent and dishwashing detergent. I stocked up late last year bc I HAVE LIVED THROUGH BARACK OBAMA'S AMERICA, which is the new Joe BIDEN America. Make Us poor. Make the political elite richer.
I REMEMBER the shortages and high gas prices froim 2008-2016.
It isn't too late to stock up. Instead of one container of Dawn, buy two.
Americans used to stock up with regularity, like the "white" sales in January where department stores would put towels and linens on sale after Christmas bc they knew fewer consumers could afford to take advantage of the sales.
Other items have been, in the Past, routinely put on sale, like seasonal clothing.
I can STILL buy winter gear in April bc everybody in the North is sick of winter and pretends it won't come back.
It isn't hoarding.
WE are doing our part to feed ourselves, as much as possible.
As for MY house, we depend upon God for our resources and we are pretty much a happy family group.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I was in Marketing Class at the university we learned the first makers of tp went out of business because country people would hoard the tp, wet it and press it into a parchment paper that was rare to own. Times changed but it was not that terribly long ago either. Another repurposing event that caused sales of "Maxipad" to skyrocket and required company investigating turned out to be county folk again though in South America. The farmers were in a droughty period so to speak and had discovered a practical and effective dust mask that even had a way to fasten to their ears with tabs evidently. Resourcefulness never ceases to amaze me.
IF people are buying (for any purpose) why would it cause a company to go out of business? Sell it. Make a profit. Move on.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
After the 89 quake, I kept slippers and a battery radio next to my bed. Still do on the slippers. Don't have a battery radio anymore. I kept sneakers in my car for over 10 years, but as the kids grew older, and they could walk home from either of their schools, I stopped.

Know where your gas shut off is. I didn't in 89, but luckily I didn't have a gas leak.
Know where your water shut off is. I just learned here at this house, two weeks ago, that its out front next to the sidewalk. And my hands would not turn the pet cock. Learning is valuable.
I also keep my car keys attached to my purse, which gets put in the same place all the time - as I'm now 67 and memory is escaping me more and more, if I'm very organized, it really helps in an emergency.

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yeah....We have Mt McLaughlin within visual distance. And DD and family live in Vancouver WA.

Lets not forget the dreaded Cascadian Subduction Earthquake that is coming someday....

:hide

Okay, had to do some checking! It looks like we are relatively safe from lahars or lava flow. Our area was already hit a few thousand years ago and it is unlikely to erupt from that location again (there isn't any of that particular weak spot remaining). Knowing that does make me feel a little better but it's still good to be prepared cuz ya never know!

Latest posts