Price increases and shortages

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I considered this too. Unfortunately I don’t have anywhere cool and dry to store it.
After a quick discussion, my husband also agreed to order now as the price remains, and we can get a 15% discount and a pallet. However, it's still "crazy" to order 750kg chicken+quail feed.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
:hide

Okay, had to do some checking! It looks like we are relatively safe from lahars or lava flow. Our area was already hit a few thousand years ago and it is unlikely to erupt from that location again (there isn't any of that particular weak spot remaining). Knowing that does make me feel a little better but it's still good to be prepared cuz ya never know!

We're also out of the lahar flow. The path its most likely to take is less than 10 miles from us though as the crow flies.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
After a quick discussion, my husband also agreed to order now as the price remains, and we can get a 15% discount and a pallet. However, it's still "crazy" to order 750kg chicken+quail feed.

protect it well so that mice/rats won't get into it. that's a lot of food!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I considered this too. Unfortunately I don’t have anywhere cool and dry to store it.
I have kept horse feed, which contains full grains, in metal trash cans. UNLESS you have a rat problem, the mice can't get to it. Just unloaded 500 pounds (10 fifty pound bags) of sweet feed yesterday, and I have the capacity to store 17 of them in my grain room.
ALSO, right after we moved here I cut a 5" x 12" "cat door" in my grain room, so as to:
1) allow cat access
2) give my kitties a safe place to go if chased by a predator
I always keep it latched bc a horse will founder if he/she has access to the grain.
Consider buying one of these:
1646660293954.png

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
My "garden shed" is a Rubbermaid, this is a "Keter". DD's gave me my shed as a Mother's Day gift some 5 years ago bc the wooden one (originally behind the tool shed) was falling apart.
EVERYTHING I keep in this stays dry 365 days/year. You could store probably 2, maybe 3 large garbage cans full of feed in this. My large garbage storage cans hold 250 pounds of feed each.
Just FYI and it is a good investment for just over $200.00

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have kept horse feed, which contains full grains, in metal trash cans. UNLESS you have a rat problem, the mice can't get to it. Just unloaded 500 pounds (10 fifty pound bags) of sweet feed yesterday, and I have the capacity to store 17 of them in my grain room.
ALSO, right after we moved here I cut a 5" x 12" "cat door" in my grain room, so as to:
1) allow cat access
2) give my kitties a safe place to go if chased by a predator
I always keep it latched bc a horse will founder if he/she has access to the grain.
Consider buying one of these:
View attachment 47385
Unfortunately we’ve got rats and the trash cans don’t keep out the humidity either. It’s so humid here in summer that any feed that we keep for more than about a month has to be in airtight containers.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The humidity here remains relatively low, and I have to use a humidifier in the bedroom in winter - otherwise, I can't sleep well. When I visited Germany first time in 2014, my husband made me a gingerbread house for Christmas decoration. That house stayed in our room for three years until we moved out. It kept shrinking until no moisture left and became something like a stone. This is impressive because I lived in a country where the rain season and typhoons often bring extra high humidity for at least six months - my two dehumidifiers had to work in shifts.

We also have several rooms without heaters - they are ideal for food storage. Originally I ordered chicken feed every two months, and they stay in such containers. We don't have mice/rats here, so buying bulk should be quite safe.
11611.jpg

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Keep a sharp eye on it anyway, rats and mice can materialize out of nowhere it seems. ;-) We keep ours in metal cans. The dogs also really help deter them. My little 5 pound dog has come trotting back from the shed with many a prize. :sick