Price increases and shortages

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
The President warned of a world wide food shortage looming. You know what that means…
Better stock up on toilet paper lol.
IF there is, it’s a “made” shortage, not a real one. Losing the production of one small country is just a small blimp in the entirety of the food chain.

Not to get into politics, but America voted for change, embrace it. We got what we asked for-change.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I don't think it is a "made" shortage and the production from both countries is not just nominal. Here is an article published yesterday which pointed out related issues.

One metaphor I heard today is quite interesting: Russia is a tsunami, and China is climate change. In my opinion, many things will be changed as the ripple effects advance.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
As you all know, I like to recycle, and I will probably begin to recycle MORE things this year. I also want EVERYBODY here to be happy, healthy and fruitful. Please be aware that the "Green Movement" is anything BUT green.
Solar panels have a 10year life and materials in them are NOT completely recyclable:
"Other materials located within the solar cells may be more difficult to recycle. Silver and internal copper are valuable components, but panels typically contain very small amounts of these materials. Toxic metals like lead and cadmium may also be present in solar panels.Jan 11, 2022"
They CANNOT be tossed in a landfill.
NEITHER can you toss electric car batteries straight into a landfill:
Lithium is a toxic chemical, btw.
When my city first started the recycling program many years ago, I had a family member involved with municipal affairs. He had suspicions that this new mission was more about feeling good than doing good, so that first week the (huge diesel guzzling) trucks commenced, he followed them with his camera in tow. With each round they collected all the plastic bottles, glass, paper etc and then drove straight to the landfill and dumped it all right in!

That said, I still do recycle, though we are starting to burn more and more. I went right to the recycle centre once to get the skinny, and yup, they sold our recycled goods on international market to whoever is buying (China at that time) I suspect they pick it through for items they're after and dump it, possibly in the ocean. In my case, I have no idea where the recycled goods wind up so I try to re-use as much as I can. Now that we have to pay to put garbage at the curb, we try to lessen the bags as much as possible.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't think it is a "made" shortage and the production from both countries is not just nominal. Here is an article published yesterday which pointed out related issues.

One metaphor I heard today is quite interesting: Russia is a tsunami, and China is climate change. In my opinion, many things will be changed as the ripple effects advance.
That’s fine. Commodity prices have doubled or tripled in last 4 months even though the crops (& animals fed with that crop) and inputs were already in place and priced. 100% manufactured.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That’s fine. Commodity prices have doubled or tripled in last 4 months even though the crops (& animals fed with that crop) and inputs were already in place and priced. 100% manufactured.
Agree 100% and this would explain how several pundits had successfully predicted quite some time ago & with great accuracy much of what we are seeing today in terms of shortages and pricing.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
We have a recycling center, been in Urbana for, I think 30 years.
I have been bringing scrap metal there for at least a decade. I am stockpiling for my next run.
They take a lot of stuff, and it DOES get recycled, not to a landfill. Their prices reflect the going rate. They will accept many items, but it's best to call to find out what things YOU pay them to take, like dehumidifiers, and I have have 2 of those ready to go.
My next trip will be an all morning affair with a very large load. I am hoping to offset my costly items (like above) against my gains so that I come away with pocket change.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
So, the Federal Government has been telling us that our inflation rate is just under 8%. REALLY?!?!?
My experience is that last year it took 75% cash for me to buy the same product this Week.
During the Obama years, 5 pounds quantity bags of sugar dropped to 4 pounds, and there it has stayed.
Still, I picked up 8 bags at <$2/bag back in January, stored in double ziplock bagging. I particularly like the 2 gallon ziplock bags.
When DD's grab one of these I take the time to wash it out after the food is gone and reuse for food storage, or, if is stained/otherwise compromised, I used it for startring seeds
Sugar has now started to creep up in price.
Just bought a large--I think 20 pounds, but it's still in my trunk of my car--of all purpose flour. I just finished a round and tall party/bar snack mix with pretzels, etc. I have it cleaned out/drying and some of the flour will be stored there soon, as well as a clean but never used "sun tea" jar and some other containers. I will be using canning labels to mark the product/expiration date.
Prices for everyday stuff is really up 30%-40%.
Now, working people are looking for part time jobs to make up the difference.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
When my city first started the recycling program many years ago, I had a family member involved with municipal affairs. He had suspicions that this new mission was more about feeling good than doing good, so that first week the (huge diesel guzzling) trucks commenced, he followed them with his camera in tow. With each round they collected all the plastic bottles, glass, paper etc and then drove straight to the landfill and dumped it all right in!

That said, I still do recycle, though we are starting to burn more and more. I went right to the recycle centre once to get the skinny, and yup, they sold our recycled goods on international market to whoever is buying (China at that time) I suspect they pick it through for items they're after and dump it, possibly in the ocean. In my case, I have no idea where the recycled goods wind up so I try to re-use as much as I can. Now that we have to pay to put garbage at the curb, we try to lessen the bags as much as possible.
This is actually why I try to avoid plastic waste entirely when ever practical. Unfortunately the world we live in is such that you pretty much have to live like Laura Ingles on the prairie if you don't want plastic waste, but I've swapped out laundry soap, shampoo, conditioner, and a bunch of other things for plastic free/reusable options.

Even if you 'recycle' it, it ends up in the dump as often as not.

Latest posts