Price increases and shortages

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We kept doing our treasure hunt in the discounter (now more people are targeting those 50% off food, too). Two days ago, we got ten packages - not bad.

7173.jpg

I also tried the app "too good to go" last Friday - baked goods are the most common ones in Germany. The items below cost six euros, but too much for a 3-person family. Most of them went into the freeze, too.
7259.jpg

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
DeCicco 7 grain pasta
Oh you meant DeCecco pasta! When I saw your post, I thought it mean there were branches of DeCicco & Sons (the gourmet supermarket near me) in Washington! Should have known better, with the prices they charge, there is NO WAY they'd drop boxes of pasta to $0.50, even if it WAS their house brand.

Last edited:

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I was wondering, Phaedra, if you were still able to get the 50% off items once a week. That sure helps your budget! I'm glad you still find these deals.
Yes, we can still get some good deals every week. Every time they release something, usually, it's a batch - the same products due at the same time. For example, we brought back four packs of bio chicken thigh, each with three pieces.

I would immediately put them in the freezer, and after some more hunts, we had various types of frozen food. For me, it's not just cost-effective but also handy.

We are trying the app "Too-good-to-go," and this is what we got from a cafeteria in the neighboring town today. We brought our own containers to reduce the unnecessary packaging.

Three pieces of cherry crumbs cake, some Coleslaw, casserole (potatoes and sausage), and two plain baked potatoes - we paid five euros for this portion, not bad at all.
7268.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i'm glad gas prices have come down somewhat. i don't think they'll get back to as low as they were before but it all helps.

fresh produce prices have not been that bad and we've also found some deals on ground beast.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
score today from some friends we visited. one of the two people doesn't like beans and the other shops a bit too much sometimes so they had a lot of extra beans and split peas. 22lbs for our shelves. the nice thing for me is that there are some lentils in there too and it would be nice for me to have some lentils once in a while. :)

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
For the working people, everything is relative. When I started working, gas was $1/gallon but average salary was $8,000. Food was cheap-See average salary. The ones that will get hurt are the retired people living on SS. As SS pay out goes up, the medical side eats it up. That is why you see so many 65+ working at fast food places. 401K’s are not the answer as in 2 years, the rich and powerful bailed out, leaving the rest to suffer 20% losses. (Inside trading is allowed for the politicians and truly rich.). It’s always been the same, pay off top priorities and then enjoy the perks. Too many bought houses, cars, etc that they couldn’t afford over the long run as all it took was a recession, job lay off, sickness, etc to put them in a bind. Con people have convinced generations to spread debts over many decades, as you deserve whatever you are looking at-See how it pencils out...

Latest posts