Price increases and shortages

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Collector what a wonderful thing to have access to, a full out processing equipment! I built a Pig Palace and it sure makes taking care of pigs a whole lot easier. I’ll mosey on over to BYH and get a link for you, how I built it.

https://www.backyardherds.com/threads/baymule’s-pigs-2018-herefords.37448/

There ya go! I love my pig palace! Got 3 in it now, a Hereford, a half Hereford and a Hampshire.

Last edited:

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I met a lady who's home burned down last September in our fires that burned down two suburbs, and a mountain up above our town. We were comparing prices on building a home now a days. The Cement fiber siding (hardi board) used to be about $25 or so a sheet and now is $42 a sheet. (I just went to Lowes and HD and its over $50 a sheet!!).

Appliances are on a 5 month back order and people are paying anything and more, for them. Roofing materials are in short supply. and I can't remember what else she was saying was astounding at the shortages and supply issues. Lumber is also going way up in price.

Fortunately, the rebuild of her home is locked in and her hubs prebought alot of the materials last fall, so the contractor doesn't charge them overages.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I met a lady who's home burned down last September in our fires that burned down two suburbs, and a mountain up above our town. We were comparing prices on building a home now a days. The Cement fiber siding (hardi board) used to be about $25 or so a sheet and now is $42 a sheet. (I just went to Lowes and HD and its over $50 a sheet!!).

Appliances are on a 5 month back order and people are paying anything and more, for them. Roofing materials are in short supply. and I can't remember what else she was saying was astounding at the shortages and supply issues. Lumber is also going way up in price.

Fortunately, the rebuild of her home is locked in and her hubs prebought alot of the materials last fall, so the contractor doesn't charge them overages.

We need new siding for the house. :( Sounds like I need to save more money.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
GMA had a short segment on their show this a.m. Food prices have risen about 3.5% so far this year. And more is expected due to supply chain shortfalls, delays in transportation, cost of gasoline, and the like.

They said that paper goods will be going up this summer. I got an extra Costco tp and 12 pack of tissues over the weekend. I bought a ream of printer paper at WM and some envelopes too. I also bought a large 1.0 mil black plastic yard bags at HD, since oil has been going up up up. The above should all last me about a year.

I can't think of anything else to buy to "dollar cost average" anything that is going up. I'm set on rice and flour and sugar (even brown sugar). Set on dog and cat food for a few months. Freezer was reorganized and now I know what is in there. Very little beef, moderate amount of pork, and a whole lotta chicken.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I go through reams, so I just ordered 5 boxes/10 reams/each, each ream is ~$3.50.
$184.95 on sale, vs $329.45
Tomorrow I will receive 50 reams (5 boxes.) Generally, if I am REALLY busy I will go through a LOT of paper and toner.
Each signing prints around 300 pages, 3/5 of a ream, 5 signings/3 reams
I am NOT on retainer, I am an independent contractor and I pay for ALL of my supplies, which is minus-ed from my income, as well as gasoline, and $wear and tear on my car.
If you start $figuring your time, you won't Want to be an independant contractor.
Instead, I figure I can do 3 signings/day IF, there is a 4 hr window between appts., AND I have the documents ready.
Just sent an invoice for a job, that I had responded to for $115.00. Told me job was already filled.
The NSA cancelled late, and they offered it to me, next day, 3PM, signing ASAP, shipped same day, for $200.00
It was a 5 minute drive from DH's office, I was already in town, I got it done AND shipped that evening, cutoff 6:30
RUSH JOB.
I find it exciting.
Not only are supplies low, but employees at lending institutions. The signings went down in 2019, signings went up in 2020, they didn't rehire and many of them are pulling 16 hr days, so stuff is coming in late and wrong.
They depend on NSA's to double check it all, so I am happy to tell them higher fees.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you start $figuring your time, you won't Want to be an independant contractor.
My wife was treasurer at her church for several years and had to deal with the IRS issues of independent contractor versus church employee. That was several years ago and it drove her nuts. She still tells stories.

The IRS wasn't the problem, their rules were pretty straightforward. It was getting the minister and the head of that committee to stay legal. Except for one person, the one that did the music, the people doing the work were easy.

Latest posts