Price increases and shortages

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
My apologies, arepas uses Mesa which is corn flour* not cornmeal. Still very inexpensive.

Recipe for arepas: half the recipe if you need to.

2 cups water
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups mesa
1 tablespoon oil of choice

Dissolve salt in water. Add oil.
Add 1 cup of mesa to water mixture and mix it together well. Add 1/4 cup of mesa at a time until you make a dough that doesn't stick to your hands but is moldable. You may not end up using all the mesa.
Cover the bowl and let it rest for 5 minutes.

Take about 1/4 cup of the dough and roll it in to a ball. Place the ball on a flat surface and gently press it down until it's about 1/2 inch thick disc. Some cracks are ok on the edges but if you are getting lots of cracks, add small amount of water to the ball and try again.

Once you have all the discs made heat a heavy bottom pan on medium heat. add about 1 TBSP of oil and swirl around the bottom of pan. Place the arepas on the pan, leave room in between them.

Cook for about 2 to 3 minutes until golden brown each side.

Place cooked arepas on a paper towel to soak up access oil.

We eat it with chili, soups, egg and cheese sandwiches, ect.

Best used fresh :)
Quick question, one site said to finish in oven. Does the center get done by pan frying? (With garden in full swing, I can see using a lot of arepas.)

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Most of us are NOT in California. But starting January 1st, expect Pork to be in very short supply in that state. A law was passed calling for any pork imports to be from farms where the hogs are raised with space to frolic. (well, that's my editor's opinion). Since less than 4% of hog operations can meet the new guidelines, pork will become a very rare thing in Calif.

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Animal feed is going up here. Dog and Cat food is running short and chicken feed has gone up $1 or more in price. Bird feed has been running short too.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Most of us are NOT in California. But starting January 1st, expect Pork to be in very short supply in that state. A law was passed calling for any pork imports to be from farms where the hogs are raised with space to frolic. (well, that's my editor's opinion). Since less than 4% of hog operations can meet the new guidelines, pork will become a very rare thing in Calif.
So, there will be a black market there for pork now, and people driving across the state border to buy meat? As if there weren't already enough serious issues to deal with. Insanity.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
The restaurants will be in trouble. Imagine they will import it.

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The new law will also affect chicken and veal though not to the same extent. I also imagine the shortage of pork will spike the prices of other kinds of meat since the people who eat California’s monthly average of 255 million pounds of pork a month will have to replace with another type of meat or protein.

Latest posts