pricing plants question

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I sell my daylilies that I have hybridized my self. I have purchased plants from another back yarder who charged $ 40 for a huge clump. I want to Home depot and they were sell a single fan for $30. A nice but common plant. So most of my plants are $40 for a clump. I have some pricy ones that are very unique and sought after by other hybridizers that I sell for much more. So I sell a better product for a little more money. There are people who buy from me who think I don't know any better and am selling them too cheaply. Sometimes I do shoot myself in the foot when I sell a big plant and people decide to buy only one instead of several. In the long run it is a hobby that has gone crazy. I do not actually make any money yet. But I always need to sell as much as I can to make room for.....MORE DAYLILIES! The real famous hybridizers sell their plants for $150-350. I bought a unique white that I wanted for my breeding program. It will be a very small plant. It was on a daylily auction site. I ended up winning the auction for $160 plus shipping. BUT I HAD TO HAVE IT! The seller auctioned off another one and it went for $650. I feel very lucky. I know this is crazy to most of you but the hybridizers were fighting over it. So at least I know I have professional taste.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cat, I think you done good! A great deal that didn't cost you anywhere $650. When I've paid a lot of money for something, I look at all the joy it's given me. Joy is priceless. :)

Mary

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
A lot of your competition is grocery stores with a seasonal gardening center managed pretty much by plant idiots. We ALL know that healthy plants survive better if they haven't had to suffer and recover by not being watered, or just being distressed too often, so your stewardship should be factored into your pricing.
I am an independent contractor (Notary Public) and I used to run a small riding (equestrian) academy(1980's-1990's). I never had great places to teach, so I undercut my competition to compensate. My costs were fixed and I worked to cover my costs. (SHOCKING!!!)
Now I price according to availability and with the knowledge that some places that I drive to service (loan packages, witnessing signatures/shipping) are too far for my competition, so I ask for Big fees for those, and often get them.
Every time that I go further than my normal range I evaluate whether the price that I charged was worth it, or if I should have charged more.
These are questions that you can ask yourself.
You can also price low--getting to know you prices--and raise them when you have developed clientele, and give breaks to loyal customers.
Btw, I don't ever decide that I charged too much, bc I work hard and I am appreciated by most of my vendors for my attention to detail.

Latest posts