Prickly heat rash

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
What is working for me right now...
Cold towel dried by cooling fan then rubbing in aloe vera taken from my plant.

Boy do we ever need cooling remedies. I so feel for you all in the hottest parts of the world. :ep

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
cool showers can help calm down the immediate effects.

since you seem to have various other issues i'm not sure what else i can suggest because you might be sensitive to them. things like apple cider vinegar or distilled vinegar might be ok (cut with water).

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Part of it is that me and my body get used to it if I'm out in it much. I try to get out in it. I don't have underlying conditions, my wife would suffer. We are all going to react differently. Sort of the reverse but when I got out of the army at Christmas time I was in Korea. It was cold. When I got home to East Tennessee I did not need a jacket for a week or so, everyone thought I was crazy.

Something else that helps is called air conditioning. That's pretty darn important down here especially if you want to sleep at night. I couldn't imagine living here without it.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
the ability of the body to regulate heat can change as you get older. also if you have extra weight. i like to acclimate to the heat but with Mom requiring AC i can't acclimate as much as i would like. as a kid running around in 95F weather was possible. i mean running and playing. now i hide from it. i also weigh 40lbs more than i did back then too. that makes a lot of difference when your body is trying to shed extra heat and it has all the insulation keeping the heat in.

i've lost 15 lbs from where i was last year at this time and hope to lose another 10-15 lbs before the year is done, but i'll be happy if i can even drop another 5 lbs. i already feel a heck of a lot better having taken off what i have.

when i was living in eastern TN, i had a fan and that was all i needed even during the hottest part of the season. i was in much better shape too. hiking and swimming were good summertime activities to get away for the day. the woods and lake were much cooler too.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well you have done well. :)

I have put on a fair amount of weight and the heat seems to be going up here each year , well obviously it's to do with this climate change everyone has been going on about.
I don't ride a bike but try to walk each day plus eat healthier but this chocolate habit of mine is a big problem, plus I found soya has been added to our foods, in the past when I drank soya milk my weight shot up.

I was about to begin swimming and bought all I needed then the lockdown began :( But in saying all this a lot if people here cannot adapt to this amount of heat while others are loving the sun and have the most beautiful tans, lucky them :)

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
If the heat gets to me too much, I find my shaker filled with cornstarch. It helps keep the skin dry, so rashes have less of a chance. I was weight wise, all the way up to 240#, a few year ago. In SC.
Even though I have lost most of the weight gain, I still use my cornstarch.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Mine has cleared up now. I did as @flowerbug suggested and mixed half vinegar and water to cool then added natural aloe vera. In the day I used bicarb to keep dry and all is back to normal. Thanks for adding to this thread, someone else may find this useful one day. :)

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
If the heat gets to me too much, I find my shaker filled with cornstarch. It helps keep the skin dry, so rashes have less of a chance. I was weight wise, all the way up to 240#, a few year ago. In SC.
Even though I have lost most of the weight gain, I still use my cornstarch.
Thank you for your input, the more suggestions the better. :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Never had a heat rash. Guess I'm acclimated to excessive heat and sweat.

some people are more fortunate than others. :) i'm not acclimating to the heat as much as i would like to. we are luckily just now getting to where we've gotten on top of the worst gardens and the health issues that have come up recently. there's no way i can get all the projects done "right now". which is ok.

with the current heat having moderated for a few days that gave us both a break and also a few extra hours. which when you've gotten mostly caught up can be really productive in getting other small gardens taken care of again too or some tidying up in ways that others will appreciate. i have a few small things like that i can get done this week which will be nice.

also i might be able to get an hour here or there put in on the big project that is hanging on (the pallet project) which is now down to putting the pathways back in place and getting the edges set up again and things weeded along that edge. i don't really plan on having this done until sometime this fall anyways (and some parts of it may go into next summer).

there's always weeding to do here, there's also always other projects to get tackled or thought about. this year has been going pretty well so far even considering the critter issues and the weather and my own mistakes too (like planting too many peas too close to other peas and not knowing their growth habits at all).

once again i can put in a big plug for diversity in plantings. even if some crops don't work out enough can that it makes the overall efforts worthwhile.

Latest posts