Problem in Cluckville

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Just got home with a pullet that a friend gave me. I put her in the pen and the two, that's been in there, immediately attacked. I shooed them off her and they retired to the coop for a while. Then came back out, walked around, cautiously checking her out, and attacked again. She ran under the coop and the other two (much larger) went back into the coop.

How am I to handle this situation?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
That throwing them all together thing, doesn't work too well, boggy! I would get her out of there and reintroduce her, just at dark- when your original hens are already roosting. Usually, they take that a little easier. Though, you are about to find out about the pecking order! Are they about the same age?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Boggy...You have to integrate them slowly. Keep them separate but where they can see each other for a few weeks. Then try to maybe free range them together for a few hours to see how they do. Make sure you supervise so no one gets hurt.

Have you been on the other sister site, "BackyardChickens.com"? You will learn EVERYTHING there you need to know about chickens! ;)

Mary

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You might try sectioning off a portion of the pen to put the new pullet in where everybody can see one another. You may have to put her up in the coop at night for a while or she may go in by herself. IME they all settle down and at least tolerate each other after the sun goes down. Just never know what they will do from day to day. She is going to be low chicken in the pecking order, at least for a while and they will probably pick on her a little even after they accept her into the flock. Last to get some food, stay away from my roosting spot! that sort of thing. Usually it works itself out and if the pullet has a place to get away from them they lose interest pretty quick until the next time she "gets out of line". Good luck! :)

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well, she's staying under the coop right now. Keeping an eye on it to see what happens. I figured that there would be "pecking order" issues but didn't expect it to be quite so serious. BUT, she did initiate the first altercation. They may have "took" that as unacceptable and decided to show her who's boss. LOL

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
ninnymary said:
Boggy...You have to integrate them slowly. Keep them separate but where they can see each other for a few weeks. Then try to maybe free range them together for a few hours to see how they do. Make sure you supervise so no one gets hurt.

Have you been on the other sister site, "BackyardChickens.com"? You will learn EVERYTHING there you need to know about chickens! ;)

Mary
I do have a large pet carrier that I could put her in and set it in the pen for a while.......if I can get her out from under the coop. But I hate to "hem" her up like that, but, I may have too.

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've taken bantams from pens to a poultry show and when I returned and tried putting a certain bird back with that pen....all heck broke loose....I've learned over the years to "Slowly" introduce them back or like what was mentioned earlier...put them in a pen close together so they can get acquainted all over again. Here's one of my show bantams....Pyncheon pullet
69973_pyncheon_pullet.jpg

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
lesa said:
That throwing them all together thing, doesn't work too well, boggy! I would get her out of there and reintroduce her, just at dark- when your original hens are already roosting. Usually, they take that a little easier. Though, you are about to find out about the pecking order! Are they about the same age?
Don't think they are (going by size)....unless this pullet is a batam. The girl didn't know what kind of chicken it was. It's feathered out like the other ones, though, so it may be about the same age....give or take.

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well, got her in the pet carrier, setting in the middle of the pen. She acts scared AND the other two are acting like they don't know whether to scratch their watch or wind their butt. Kinda funny.

sonjab314

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Speaking from experience, they will setlle down in a few days and start to "feel" each other out. I introduced a new rooster last year and had to keep him away from my other rooster for over 2 weeks. They will learn to get along. It will just take some time.

Latest posts