Problem in Cluckville

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
After they go to roost, I'm thinking about putting the pet carrier in the coop, on top of the egg laying boxes so the can see each other before they go beddie-bye and when they first wake up. Does this sound like a "plan"?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've had to add new pullets to my flock a couple times now (and this also applies when you take one out for a few weeks if you have to doctor it). I put them in runs right beside each other where they can see each other through the fence for a couple of weeks. Then I let them free range together for a couple of weeks, starting out just a couple hours in the evening and working up to all day. The last day, let her go in to roost with the others. They'll duke it out a little over who's gonna sleep where, but that is normal. When they wake up in the morning they should pay her no mind. Also, you want to put them together when they are very close in size. Don't put a tiny pullet in with full grown hens. They'll have too much advantage and likely kill the smaller bird. Good luck!

(Amazing how much drama goes on in the hen house, huh? Perhaps that's why they sometimes allude to a group of women as old hens. :lol: My hubby regularly sees such pecking order going on at work.)

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
journey11 said:
I've had to add new pullets to my flock a couple times now (and this also applies when you take one out for a few weeks if you have to doctor it). I put them in runs right beside each other where they can see each other through the fence for a couple of weeks. Then I let them free range together for a couple of weeks, starting out just a couple hours in the evening and working up to all day. The last day, let her go in to roost with the others. They'll duke it out a little over who's gonna sleep where, but that is normal. When they wake up in the morning they should pay her no mind. Also, you want to put them together when they are very close in size. Don't put a tiny pullet in with full grown hens. They'll have too much advantage and likely kill the smaller bird. Good luck!

(Amazing how much drama goes on in the hen house, huh? Perhaps that's why they sometimes allude to a group of women as old hens. :lol: My hubby regularly sees such pecking order going on at work.)
Doing all that is not possible, with my particular circumstances (way too many weenie dogs running loose). Maybe I'll be able to work it out (of course, with everyone's help) another way.

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Put together a mini ""chicken tractor" and put her in it (inside the pen) for them to get acquainted. Hope it works.
Last night went well. I put her in the coop, in the pet carrier, at eye level with the other two.

6615_106.jpg

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think that will work perfectly- keep putting her in the coop at night and soon, they will be friends! Good luck!

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
lesa said:
I think that will work perfectly- keep putting her in the coop at night and soon, they will be friends! Good luck!
That's good news, lesa. I was hoping it would work.