Propagating a Cherry Tree Cutting

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have the chance to try and grow some cherry tree cuttings. I have read up and understand they are hard to do this with BUT I figure they surely won't if I don't at least try.

Anyway, it's suggested sand and perilite for a medium. I have the sand. Do you think vermiculite would work instead of perilite? Also, should I possibly mix in a little goat poo for fertilizer?

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Broke Down Ranch said:
I have the chance to try and grow some cherry tree cuttings. I have read up and understand they are hard to do this with BUT I figure they surely won't if I don't at least try.

Anyway, it's suggested sand and perilite for a medium. I have the sand. Do you think vermiculite would work instead of perilite? Also, should I possibly mix in a little goat poo for fertilizer?
No fert. till roots show up!
The sand needs to be sterile, vermiculite should do just fine.
Try as many cutting as you can! Try different locations to propagate them. "Don't put all your eggs in one basket." When I try rooting something new to me I try a few in my back jungle(shade) and in my front/sideyard (more sun).

Use a rooting hormone, this not only promotes rooting it also protects against fungus.

well that's all I can think of now!
I hope this helps you.

Joe

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I was thinking of starting them in pots instead of in the yard. Can I use straight vermiculite since the sand is not sterile?

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Broke Down Ranch said:
I was thinking of starting them in pots instead of in the yard. Can I use straight vermiculite since the sand is not sterile?
Bake the sand in that fine smoker! I meant in pots but different spots.

The vermiculite would stay to wet, I would think,by itself. It is used to aerate the mix.

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
injunjoe said:
Broke Down Ranch said:
Bake the sand in that fine smoker! I meant in pots but different spots.

The vermiculite would stay to wet, I would think,by itself. It is used to aerate the mix.
OK. How long do I bake the sand? I don't mind bringing it in and doing in the oven since all our wood is now wet :/ How high would the bake temp need to be? And you are correct - I Googled using vermiculite and read that by itself would stay too wet.

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Just found this;

"Oven Method: (small batches)

* Fill an ovenproof container about 3 inches deep with soil, mix in a generous amount of water (not enough to make it runny or soupy but thoroughly wet) then cover with aluminum foil. Bake the soil in a preheated oven (200F) until the temperature of the center of the soil reaches 180F (use a meat thermometer to measure). Once the soil temperature reaches 180F, bake for 30 minutes. Do not overheat or overbake the soil since it can release toxins harmful to plants as well as kill beneficial organisms. Baking soil can smell quite foul, this is normal.

Microwave Method: (small batch)

* To use the microwave to sterilize soil, put about 2 pounds of moist soil in a thick, plastic bag. Leave the top open and place it in the center of the microwave. Treat it for two to five minutes on full power, checking the temperature in the middle of the soil with a thermometer. When the target is reached (180F to 200F), close the bag carefully and put in a cooler to hold the heat in the soil. Allow to cool. Source: Use Microwave To Sterilize Potting Soil."

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know this thread is old, but to do cuttings of a tree of unknown difficulty, you should follow all the advice above, especially injunjoe's.
But I would add that you should try the hardwood cuttings, and also in spring you really should try some SOFTWOOD cuttings. Softwood cuttings are cuttings taken of soft new growth, usually around 5 inches long. Try some longer and some shorter. To prepare them, cut all the bottom leaves completely off, and the rest of the leaves cut the front tip halves off. This saves them from losing too much moisture since they don't have roots to get it. Use that sterile mix, and use the hormone. BOTTOM HEAT helps a lot, tons a lot. soil should be a good 70 degrees. TOP HUMIDITY also helps a lot. Just be careful not to allow fungus to take hold. That's why everything should be sterile. To get top humidity, cover the pot with a plastic bag loosely. Devise some way to do it. Sometimes have it sealed, other times loose, and once in awhile remove it. Mist the leaves daily! twice or 3 times a day.

In August or so you can try SEMI HARDWOOD CUTTINGS. These are done basically the same way the softwood cuttings are done. Since these are unknown about how to do the cuttings, try a lot of different ways, at a lot of different growth stages.

These are the basic ways professional nurseries do it, course they have a crew doing things on a set schedule, with different things to do for each batch of different plants they are starting from cuttings.

Latest posts