~ PROPAGATING ROSES AT HOME, INFORMATION FOR YOU ! ~

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow :bee :frow

As many of you know I am mad on old roses & I love to try my hand at propagating them. :love

At long last I have found a sit that explains the techniques clearly, with clear diagrams & even the odd video -- my own explanations are not as clear I fear !!

http://www.hortus.com/rose.htm

Good Luck & may your roses FLOURISH :weight

:rose Hattie :rose

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Great info, Hattie! I am trying to grow some roses from seed. So far, nothing yet!! I waited till the rose hips dried and planted 1/2 dozen seeds. Have them under the grow lights with a "tent" over them. We'll see! Enjoy your roses!

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hey Lesa. Glad to hear someone else is trying roses from seed. I planted 23 seeds December 3rd of last year and noticed 2 of them sprouting February 21st. So be patient! I was so excited I walked around with a big, stupid grin on my face for two days. I got a 3rd sprout March 25th. Hope you get some of the seeds to sprout for you! Good luck! :)

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Great, bid! I'll try to be patient. For some reason, I didn't have a lot of hips this year. If these seeds don't succeed- I'll give it a try again. Good luck with yours!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good info there Hattie, thanks for sharing it. I have been researching this lately and read many sites, but not this one. It did answer a few questions that I still had, particularly as to how old of growth to select and where to cut for the node.

For the total immersion method, another site I saw had mentioned that you can make your own rooting solution by cutting up willow twigs into little pieces and steeping them in cool water. I thought that was curious, but it does make sense given how easily willows will root (even if you thought they were dry and dead!) I have a bucket of corkscrew willow whips going right now to sell in my yard sale. (FYI, they are very popular and for a dollar each a bucket full will net you about $30!) :bun

I was wanting cuttings off of my FIL's roses this spring when my BIL trimmed them back, but he forgot about me and trimmed them without telling me until days later! I was so bummed out, but now I read here that it is actually better to get this year's growth. Wonderful! :ya

He gave me a bundle of dry dead stems. I did manage to pull a few hips off of there and found fully formed seeds in some. I think I will try my hand at sprouting them too...

I have bookmarked this one... You are right--it was very easy to follow. :)
Saving up my 2-liter bottles! :rose

Latest posts