Pruning a Bare Root semi-dwarf Nectarine "Snow Queen"

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary, what I do is use my wife's old worn out panty hos e / ankle / knee high nylons to tie some branches to another (s) or around the entire branch structure for support or to train the branche's growth. There is enough elasticity as well as support for branch movement in a wind but prevents branch breaking.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good idea Bob. So, should I tie multiple nylons together to make a long rope and then tie that around the entire tree? I'll check to see if dollar store has them.

Thanks
Mary

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good idea Bob. So, should I tie multiple nylons together to make a long rope and then tie that around the entire tree? I'll check to see if dollar store has them.

Thanks
Mary
One panty hose is enough to tie around an entire dwarf three branch stucture . Knee high you can streatch to tie a couple branches together. I also use an 1/2 " PVC grey electic pipe to first insert about 6" to 12" into the ground and use the anckle high to tie a branch or a leader to it to train the branch for future structure. If you want to mimic nature , I use th grey PVC pipe driven into the ground and take a 5 gal. tree and plant it so that the trunk is at up to a 45* angle and use a knee high nylon to tie the trunk to the PVC for support so that it looks like a partially wind blown tree to lean over a hill or over a creek from it's bank. Later prune the branches to a desired shape. Or if you need to straighten a leader branch or want to form a new one , I use a bamboo 3 ft. long stake at a needed location on the tree and tie a branch to it at mutiple locations with anckle high nylons. :)

Latest posts