pruning roses

bennett

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
do does one go about this and not kill the plant? the heirloom roses we planted are eight feet high (at least) and i know they need to be pruned back but i'm not sure how to go about it.

mtn_penny

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Personally I really dislike roses due to the pruning thing so take my advise with a whole lot of salt cause I am no expert by any means.

But about 3 years ago I started managing a feed store that had roses everywhere none of which had been taken care of for several years and were very tall. Now the more I cut them back the better they do. But again I am sure someone will have the proper way to prune them but I just cut them back about waist high the first year and then the next year I took them on back to a more managable level and they are thriving.

CityChook

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Look for a 5 leaf shoot and cut above it. I prefer angled cuts. If you see canes that cross (and can rub), then it's a good idea to prune away the interior cane. Give it some good breathing room. If you need to cut it back to a more manage-able size, then by all means do it. Roses are pretty tough and can handle a good haircut. Heck, I pruned three 8 ft. climbers back to 6-9 inches earlier this spring and now they're growing like crazy. I was hoping they would die so I could shovel-prune 'em, but now that they're filling out, I don't have the heart....

Latest posts