Puff Ball

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I slice them...ONLY when they are white inside.....roll them in flour and fry them in butter...lightly salt them as well...just like I do my Morels. YUM!!!!

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Try cooking one and make sure it's not too mature.......it's different from regular mushrooms in taste and texture.....and PLEASE make sure what you are picking ARE Puff Balls and not some other fungus. They have NO stems....try a bite and see...you may like them.:)

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
WOW :ep I have never seen one that big! I love morels, but have never found a puffball that was not ready to *PUFF*

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have had some big ones, bigger the soft balls but that is ridiculous. It looks like a moon rock. I think I would keep it and let it dry out. That is awesome. :ep

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So, they are the things that you find growing in trees? I guess I never paid any attention to them except to throw one at my brother once in a while when we were kids. That thing is HUGE!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wisher1000 said:
We have puff balls but they don't look like that. Ours are grayish brown and have a tough skin on the outside and a dark brown powder inside. When you step on them they "puff" the powder out a hole in the top. Is this what they look like when they are young? How do you eat them?
One nice thing about puff balls is that there is no poisonous mushroom that looks anyting like them. They are unmistakeable.
They are one of those foods that have very little taste of their own but absorb the taste of whatever they are cooked with.

annageckos

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We use to have them growing all over the yard. Wish I know then that they were edible, I love mushrooms. I haven't seen any in the last few years, going to have to keep my eye out for them.

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
skeeter9....Puff Balls grow on the ground...not in the trees....there are some fungi that do grow on trees...but not these....

Latest posts