pulling T-posts

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
it wasn't all that bad yesterday pulling out some T-posts that i have to replace with taller versions.

luckily i had a chunk of chain with a hook. a big box i could use as a fulcrum for the lever and another T-bar to use as the lever.

just wrapped the chain around the bottom of the T-bar and then went backwards to make sure it would not unwrap when pulled on, made a loop with the hook and away i went. it was not the easiest to do on a bit of slope with things around and in the way but they were all removed by the end of the afternoon when my body said it had enough for the day (had to do some mowing earlier too).

so now it is on to the fun part of the project, pounding in much taller posts, will need a ladder and help for that as i'm sure i can't hold the level down below and pound the sledge from above, etc. i don't have that much flexibility or that long of arms...

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
IF you are using a sledge, make sure all are wearing eye protection. Friend lost his eye doing that.

i always have eye protection on. except for a while last summer i went without my glasses when gardening and kept getting dirt in my eyes so i put 'em back on...

i can definitely say that i do not need 10 foot t-posts... they're quite the buggers to get pounded in even up on the ladder. the troops aka me and Mom have taken a break for the rest of the day (which is why they call it rest i guess? :) ). she is snoring on the couch and i snoozed off for a few minutes in between reading things.

the worst of the posts to do will be the first one tomorrow, it is going to be in very difficult location and i'm not sure how we'll tackle it. yes, it's a 10 footer. it actually might go in very easy though as i think it is where the groundhog den entrance was and that's all sand and probably fairly hollow down quite a ways. i might hit it and have it all go down... i have to be ready for that...

after that post things get much easier as i will be able to have more level ground for the ladder and also easier on Mom to get around. once we get a post going level and square and all that then i have her stand back so she won't get whacked if i miss. so far so good.

in a bit i just go back out to wire and put some fabric strips in the fence so the deer know it is there.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
it wasn't all that bad yesterday pulling out some T-posts that i have to replace with taller versions.

luckily i had a chunk of chain with a hook. a big box i could use as a fulcrum for the lever and another T-bar to use as the lever.

just wrapped the chain around the bottom of the T-bar and then went backwards to make sure it would not unwrap when pulled on, made a loop with the hook and away i went. it was not the easiest to do on a bit of slope with things around and in the way but they were all removed by the end of the afternoon when my body said it had enough for the day (had to do some mowing earlier too).

so now it is on to the fun part of the project, pounding in much taller posts, will need a ladder and help for that as i'm sure i can't hold the level down below and pound the sledge from above, etc. i don't have that much flexibility or that long of arms...
NO, NO, NO, @flowerbug!!! It's really easy when you know how.
First, cardinal directions: N, S, E, W
Then take a hammer and start banging at it towards the base in the cardinal directions. After awhile, you can start Pulling in the cardinal directions. Pretty soon, you will be able to pull it out.
If you do it any other way, you can damage equipment or bend the posts.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm slowly replacing posts in the chicken coop with 6'tposts... which means they are 8' before I drive them in.
It's a job for the day after a good rain. The tricky part is getting the HEAVY t-post driver off - it's still over my head when it's done.
jawsmiley[1].gif

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
NO, NO, NO, @flowerbug!!! It's really easy when you know how.
First, cardinal directions: N, S, E, W
Then take a hammer and start banging at it towards the base in the cardinal directions. After awhile, you can start Pulling in the cardinal directions. Pretty soon, you will be able to pull it out.
If you do it any other way, you can damage equipment or bend the posts.

it's not been a problem at all doing it straight up with a chain, lever and fulcrum. the post i used as a lever was slightly bent to begin with and i surely did not make it worse and i didn't make it better either. :)

today i have the fence up now across the back part that needed it the most. the rest of the fence i need to do now i can do myself without my helper holding the level and checking it.

what i am out of now is wire i need to wrap around the fence and t-post to hold the fence up. so i won't be able to go any further with this project until i get some more wire.

Latest posts