Pumpkin growth differences... *PICS*

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Well,

I picked up some Prizewinner Pumpkin seeds at Walmart earlier this year just for fun, and I planted three. All three came up and the plants seemed to be growing great, but there is a major size difference! One is huge, another is medium and one is super tiny. They get the same care and were planted on the same day, I think they even germinated on the same day! I have used any fertilizer yet, but my grandma said we will do that tomorrow or monday, I think, I forgot,lol. So does anyone know why they might be growing like this?

Small one...

008-7.jpg

Big one...

007-7.jpg

(And just for fun, here is some Buttercup Squash my grandma had me plant!)

009-8.jpg

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Chances are good that the soil in the tire, is much warmer than the ground soil. The warmer soil may have helped. The ground also looks more moist where the tire is sitting, so maybe it's getting a better drink than the others?

It could be the gene pool as well. Seeds in a package don't always share the same parent plant. :)

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ahh, I knew posting that last pic would cause trouble! That one in the tire isnt a pumpkin, it has nothing to do with my post,lol. The pumpkins are the first two, they are the ones Im asking about. The gene pool could be it though! Water just cant be it though! The two pumpkins, along with the third, all get the same amount of water and everything, so I dont know what is up with em.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It looks like the plant in the first pick has somewhat different soil? Sandy soil perhaps?

and the second one looks like it's more clay like? Or is that just my eyes and the light not cooperating?

Either way, incorporate some compost around the plant and give it plenty of water. Mulch them too just make sure it stays away from the base and doesn't touch the plant.

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
OaklandCityFarmer said:
It looks like the plant in the first pick has somewhat different soil? Sandy soil perhaps?

and the second one looks like it's more clay like? Or is that just my eyes and the light not cooperating?

Either way, incorporate some compost around the plant and give it plenty of water. Mulch them too just make sure it stays away from the base and doesn't touch the plant.
Nope! Same soil, but it is very sandy. The bigger one does get morning shade from a little Walnut tree, I should have added that. The only problem with putting mulch around the plants is that the irrigation water washes everything away.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If it's not diseased, not water, and not soil, then there are only so many possibilities.

It looks like a nutrient situation, yet it's next to the other one; how interesting.

Could it have been bumped underground by something? How about a borer in the stem somewhere?

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My guess it is soil variation you can't see. I had a row of peas growing once and one section sucked real bad. Turned out the section that grew about a foot shorter than the rest was where a different plant was grown the year before so probably zapped a local critical nutrient.

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yeah, Im totally lost! I havent grown a garden in a year or two so my brain is still trying to catch up! Im not sure about your two questions, how does one figure out if there is a borer in the stem? Thanks. :)

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
silkiechicken said:
My guess it is soil variation you can't see. I had a row of peas growing once and one section sucked real bad. Turned out the section that grew about a foot shorter than the rest was where a different plant was grown the year before so probably zapped a local critical nutrient.
Sorry, Silkie. I didnt see your post before the other one I made. Nothing has been grown in this area for about 4 years, so I dont think that was it, but it could be something to do with the soil.

Mooman, I believe it is a Black Walnut, BUT, the one that is growing great is the one by the walnut tree! So I dont think that would be what is affecting them.

Latest posts