Pumpkin help

RedClayGardener

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I would really love to have homegrown pumpkins this year for Halloween but I am afraid that my plants are not far enough along. Is there anything I can do to boost their growth and maturation?

I know you are supposed to allow only one fruit on the vine to produce a bigger pumpkin but is there anything else I can do?

Any ideas? Thanks!

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
make sure they get lots of warm sun and lots of water and maybe a little fertilizer. I got mine in late and am beginning to wonder as well.

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm jealous that you have some to worry about, Em! The squash borers have infested mine! I'm trying to salvage the 3-4 green ones that are growing. We might not have "pumpkin fest" at my house this fall after all.... :(

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mine are maturing too early! I have several that are already turned orange and the vines are dying off. Way too early, when you think they will be needed in October.

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Mine are maturing too early! I have several that are already turned orange and the vines are dying off. Way too early, when you think they will be needed in October.
if you put them somewhere cool and dry and dark they should keep a little longer

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Just to add.

I think that you pumpkins could benefit from a little warmth in the soil like others have suggested. You can help that out by mulching around the base, just not too close, to help increase soil temps. If squash vine borers have been a problem in the past then stay away from coarse mulches, maybe even plastic might be the trick.

Like ams suggests, lots of water. But make sure it's going down deep to the roots and not on the leaves. A solution of 1 part milk and 5 parts water might help with growth and prevent powdery mildew.

Beekissed, right if you can let them cure on the vine then store them and continue to cure them inside then they can last a long time.

Good luck

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Finding somewhere cool, dry and dark should be a trick! I can get cool and dark or hot, dry and dark but I can't get the cool and dry portion in the combo. My cellar's just a little too humid for pumpkin storage and the attic just a little too warm. Will probably leave them on the vine until I just can't anymore. Was hoping to sell some this year.

My Rouge D' Atemps (sp?) are right on schedule and will finish at the appropriate time. The early ones were just some plant settings I got that were labeled simply, "Pumpkins"! :D :lol:

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
OaklandCityFarmer said:
Just to add.

I think that you pumpkins could benefit from a little warmth in the soil like others have suggested. You can help that out by mulching around the base, just not too close, to help increase soil temps. If squash vine borers have been a problem in the past then stay away from coarse mulches, maybe even plastic might be the trick.

Like ams suggests, lots of water. But make sure it's going down deep to the roots and not on the leaves. A solution of 1 part milk and 5 parts water might help with growth and prevent powdery mildew.

Beekissed, right if you can let them cure on the vine then store them and continue to cure them inside then they can last a long time.

Good luck
my grandfather used to inject milk in the vines but Ive never been able to get it in. He swore by it to get big pumpkins. I will try watering it in.

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
ams3651 said:
my grandfather used to inject milk in the vines but Ive never been able to get it in. He swore by it to get big pumpkins. I will try watering it in.
I have heard this as well, as odd as that method seems, but it is a trick that some of the Large Pumpkin contest contestents use.

RedClay, There is still lots of time for those pumpkins to grow, so I wouldn't get to worried yet. If you are just growing them for Jack-o-lanterns, water them with a little Miracle Grow once a week.

Latest posts