Pumpkin Rotting?

mydogdory

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hi! A couple weeks ago I found my first pumpkin on my pumpkin plant! It grew a little bit but now it's getting yellow and brown..I think it rotting. Where the yellow and brown is it's kind of squishy and where the green is it's hard. It didn't have that brown yesterday. The first picture is the pumpkin yesterday. (I took one for an update kind of thing) The second picture is from today. Did it not actually get pollinated? Thanks! :)

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    129.4 KB · Views: 170
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 187

mydogdory

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Oh and does it look and sound like it's rotting?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
There are gardeners here who know their Cucurbita. I'm not really one of them, @mydogdory .

I do know that pumpkins and the others can have something called blossom end rot. Usually, people get real concerned about this physical problem in their tomatoes. I have more trouble with it in my summer squash but it even shows up in peppers.

It is not necessarily curtains for the fruit. It sometimes survives. Fruit development has just gotten ahead of the plant's ability to provide water to it. Damage results. Adequate soil moisture is the first priority. Sometimes calcium is not available in the plant tissue in sufficient amounts to move fluids along. This isn't always true and it's just insufficient soil moisture.

That may be the problem but there sure was a big change in only one day!

Steve

mydogdory

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
There are gardeners here who know their Cucurbita. I'm not really one of them, @mydogdory .

I do know that pumpkins and the others can have something called blossom end rot. Usually, people get real concerned about this physical problem in their tomatoes. I have more trouble with it in my summer squash but it even shows up in peppers.

It is not necessarily curtains for the fruit. It sometimes survives. Fruit development has just gotten ahead of the plant's ability to provide water to it. Damage results. Adequate soil moisture is the first priority. Sometimes calcium is not available in the plant tissue in sufficient amounts to move fluids along. This isn't always true and it's just insufficient soil moisture.

That may be the problem but there sure was a big change in only one day!

Steve
So then maybe it's not getting enough water? That would make sense because recently I have been watering them a little later (due to busy schedule) when the leaves are kind of droopy. Thanks!!

Latest posts