Pumpkins for a Halloween Harvest?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Of course, variety makes a difference.

I used to plant most any pun'kin seed for Halloween jack o'lanterns. Often, I had pumpkins that were still green with only few that were turning orange by the end of the growing season.

A few years ago, I grew Rock Star. It matures almost too early! Nice big pumpkins but setting out 2 or 3 week-old plants at the end of May gave me ripening pumpkins at the beginning of September.

Some of them had a problem one year making it to Halloween. But, that was related to a rind disease that I hadn't seen before nor since.

. . . mileage may vary with any variety. I hate that caveat but it applies. Just keep track of what you grow V, you may or may not want that one, next year.

Steve
See, that's my issue! The girl who gave them to me, didn't know what they were even called?! So I'm kind of winging it. I meant to specifically buy white indain pie pumpkins... but I forgot, and was lucky enough to have a back up.

GrowsLotsaPeppers

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
You should still have time to order something special. I wouldn't make it the only thing i planted, though.

How many do you want? A couple, or a couple of truckloads?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
GrowsLotsaPeppers said:
You should still have time to order something special. I wouldn't make it the only thing i planted, though.

How many do you want? A couple, or a couple of truckloads?
I have mini garden going on these days, not very much room for pumpkins. I did just plant 2 mounds in a 3' x 6' bed I put in next to the chickens' run.

I really only need a few, like 3 is fine actually, they are just for my daughter to have as decor to paint for the front porch, and then when they are done being pretty they will be pie filling!!! :drool