Pumpkins in containers

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I had a real problem with squash borers killing my pumpkins last year. DH has suggested that we plant them in large pots, and then let them ramble from there. Will this keep the borers out? and will pumpkins grow like this?

farmerlor

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Since the borers are eggs laid by flying adults, this is not a soil borne predator so planting in pots isn't going to make any difference. The only remedy I can think of would be to cover the plants to protect them from the flying adults but then you won't get pollination.....I know there are various insecticides that can be used but I hate to use chemicals so I'm sorry but I don't have an answer.

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That is good to know! That means I can save my nice big containers for my root veggies. If I can figure out when they start flying, I'll just use some row covers on them. Thanks!

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think that pumpkin vines overflowing a container would look beautiful!!!!

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I believe that last year's adult pests would have laid their eggs in the soil, which would then hatch under your row covers. I'm not sure on this, but you might want to check out that possibility. Good luck!

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You're right. I'm trying to figure out where to put them this year. I think I'm going to have DH till up some MORE ground (happens every year! :) ) to make a vine patch. That way, when the squash borers fly, I'll cover the whole bed, and hope that helps.

Obsessed, I think it would look really pretty! I might have to try one that way! :rainbow-sun

Liberty7

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm going to try growing pumpkins for the first time this coming summer, and I'm going to try the 'Spirit' seeds as they, supposedly, have shorter vines -- 4-5 feet. I'm going to keep a keen out for those squash borers!!!!

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
i tried this last summer as my back left me out of the garden but I had already started them. THey didnt thrive till I took them out of the pot and planted them in the flower bed and by that time it was too late.

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I planted sugar babies (I think that's what they're called) 2 summers ago, and didn't have any problems. Last year I did Howdens, and I think I only had 2 vines out of 10 make it. The squash borers were REALLY bad, but part of the porblem was that I didn't know what I was looking at before it was too late. This year, I'm growin Juane Gros de Paris. Hopefully, I'll have better luck.

Anyone know when to watch out for squash borers in the Ohio valley?