puny onions

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Not knowing what variety you actually had, it may very well be that 2" is what size they normally are. There are a lot of variety's that never get any larger than that. How did they taste? How hot were they? Still good to eat?

One of my all time favorites is the Walla-Walla Sweet. As their name implies, they are very sweet, to the point where some eat them raw, like an apple. I love them in Greek salads, or thick sliced on a sandwich. They are not a storage onion unfortunately, keeping a maximum of about 4-6 weeks average. Snip a few onion greens for a salad, or to sprinkle on a dish. Very tasty!

My Walla-Walla's varied in size all down the row, but I did get several very large ones, 5-6" across, most averaged about 3-4".

Onions being shallow rooted, as compared to many veggies, do like their water, and as bigreenthumb mentions weeding is important. Fertilize them early, then again mid-season for best results. You can plant sets fairly early in the spring as they are cold resistant. If planting sets make sure the roots are tucked down into the hole, but don't plant the set to deep overall.

Seeds can be planted directly in the garden, in warmer areas, in August, then overwintered with a light mulch of leaves. Uncover when the last frost has passed to allow lots of sunlight. Water only in the morning, so the soil can warm up during the day.

Top growth will occur during the shorter days, and the long, hot days of summer are needed for good bulb growth.

Good luck next year!:)

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
biggreenthumb said:
If you go to Jung seed and read the description for the Candy onions, they claim these onion seeds are to reach the same size no matter the soil type. My ground isn't really that great. I do believe it has a lot to do with how much water they get. I watered them when I thought they needed it. Probabaly no more than 3 times. Fertilizer is very important. They need a lot of nitrogen to get big greens early in the growing season. They grew a lot when the weather was cooler. I think the combination of all these things gave me the results that I had this year.
I made a note to check this variety out for next spring.
Do they store well?

bigredfeather

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I was waiting to respond about the storing until I found out. As of tonight, we still have a dozen and a half nice solid onions left from the garden. I will say that they've gotten much hotter the longer they have been stored. I would think that should be expected. I am very pleased with how well they are keeping.
In two months it will be time to start next years crop. Can't wait!

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'd like to post again a site I found at the recommendation of a farmer's market friend: www.dixondalefarms.com. They group onions according to day length in your part of the country (there's a map on the site) and according to sweet, storage or unusual varieties. If you can get together with friends and family on your order, the per/bunch price goes down rapidly. Plus, free shipping!

Latest posts