Puppies will be here soon!!

StonyGarden

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
So far none of them have real names. There are a few that have nick names due to markings or size. 'Fuzzy bear' is the black one in the group of 3 that is behind the others. She's well, fuzzy. I have 'Lil Red'. She's the runt and she's a red fawn. 'Star' is black with a 5 point star on her chest. The 'twins' are the 2 fawn boys. They look identical. 'Big Red' is the reddish fawn looking straight at the camera. After next weekend (21st-22nd) I will know which one I will be keeping and her name will be Benelli (Elli for short).

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Too stinkin cute! I love their little wrinkly faces. :love How much fun you must be having at your house these days. :happy_flower

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
<~~ Never bred or raised anything on purpose, so just asking.... Why after next weekend? I mean, obviously your watching for them to grow a little and 'show ya what they've go'. But what are you looking for at 6 weeks that will make the decision. I don't think I'd be able to hand over those little balls of wrinkles to a new owner.
:love
All I've ever raised have been kittens (choose male or female and pick a nice color) and chickens (wait till I can tell male from female, female stay - male go).

StonyGarden

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
The SO and I study each puppy at 6 weeks old to determine if it is suitable for breeding (compare the puppy against the breed standard). We are keeping a female for the breeding program so we will choose first. Then people that have deposits in can choose their puppy. We sell some puppies on a breed quality contract and pet quality contracts (has to be spayed/neutered).

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Then people that have deposits in can choose their puppy.
Not me I go the other way. I always tell the breeder what I want and have them select for me. You've been around them since minute 1 in their lives. A few hours spending time with them doesn't mean I can pick a what I want. Hard to imagine spending a few hours and based on those few hours I'll have a commitment for the next dozen years or so. No thank you. A so so pup might be on when I visit or the real nice one might be tired or not feeling up to par the day I visit. Too much of a gamble for me.

I have my preferences, (brindle over fawn, and usually males over females) but I don't let that rule out a nice fawn female. Gotta build a house before you paint it ;)

StonyGarden

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I totally agree. We help people make their decisions. We talk about temperaments, activity levels, etc. But the decision is ultimately theirs.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Jared, you just explained how everyone should pick their dog. I've only done it once - this last adoptee, charlie the llaso apso. I had some really specific requirements based on the one dog we already had - she has seizures, we need to make sure she's not stressed because that can bring on seizures. So after 4 or so years of owning her, i knew what would work for her. Small, very mellow, submissive, adult. But how in the world do you know that at the humane society or animal control or in a litter of pups? Finally, i saw a posting on facebook - a foster mom was describing charlie's personality. She'd only had him in her home 1 week, but that's a lot longer than i would have been able to evaluate him if he was at the shelter. He was a perfect fit from the moment he walked in the door. I tried to stress at the animal control how helpful that had been for me, and how it would help ensure a lifelong adoption - instead of just typing "so cute! Looking for a loving home!" tell me about temperment and personality in a home setting! Heh, obviously this is a pet peeve of mine. Good for you StonyGarden for guiding prospective owners in the right direction. Have you ever turned away a prospective buyer because the breed wasnt a good fit for them?

StonyGarden

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Absolutely I have turned people away. My breed isn't for everyone and we are pretty strict on who gets one of our puppies.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Absolutely right!! Corsos belong with a VERY small percentage of the population. I've been around enough of them to believe that. They are good dogs, but NOT for most folks.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I got my newest Dalmatian I had the breeder select the pup for me on the advice of a dog expert friend. I wanted a female small and sweet. She is just that. What I forgot to say was I wanted a "dumb" one. Only later did the breeder mention that she was the smartest. How did she put it? She learned to get loose then taught all the others how to get loose. That translates into the naughtiest puppy. She is soooo naughty but I must say she is a love. Typical Dalmatian. Once they stop eating your house they are a great family dog.
I read that people usually pick the pup in the litter that is jumping most towards them. That's the alpha dog! For a family pet I want the quiet one in the corner.
I still love all those wrinkles!

Latest posts