Puppy Imports

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
I heard on the radio ... Last Friday the USDA approved a regulation that requires all puppies imported to the US to be at least 6 months old, healthy, and up to date on vaccinations. :clap The humane society of us and spca chimed in their approval and bemoan the fact that there were no regulations before as well as the shipped puppies were too young and so sick that one in four died before reaching the US . We for MANY YEARS now have had laws for spay and neuter and require all breeders to be licensed and still there are more rescue dogs and cats than ever before. How come ? Well it seems ( as seen dutifully reported on several TV channel 2 news reports ) that the rescue group in Oregon have shipped in hundreds of dogs by truck from S. Cal. rescue groups per year to Portland, Ore.( as one example ) that carry " adoption fees" in the hundreds ( $$$s depending on size, age and breed ). Do you um, possibly, maybe, think that these rescued dogs came from South of the US border puppy mills to line the coffers of the rescue group's owner ... Hmmmm ? :hu

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm all for rescuing dogs but at $400/each. They are dead. IF I have to pay over $100 for dog, shots, etc, it's dead. We are talking animals, not people.

IF I buy a dog for a purpose-guard, hunting, service, etc. then I buy from breeder and pay the cost. For foofy, the family pet, any friendly dog will do. Pounds are full of them.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm all for rescuing dogs but at $400/each. They are dead. IF I have to pay over $100 for dog, shots, etc, it's dead. We are talking animals, not people.

IF I buy a dog for a purpose-guard, hunting, service, etc. then I buy from breeder and pay the cost. For foofy, the family pet, any friendly dog will do. Pounds are full of them.
I couldn't agree with you more! I love my dogs, but if the vet bill was going to hit the thousands of $$$$$.......well......I'm sure gonna miss that dog.....

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I once tried a new vet for a teeth cleanng on my dog. When I went to pick her up the bill was over $2,000 ( they bonded some of her teeth) Thats not counting the $450 in tests before the cleaning. I never asked price so had to pay it. I never went back to that vet.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is just crazy. I have friends/family that have spent themselves into debt for thousands of dollars to save their pet. I might sound harsh, but 5 Thousand to "save" Fluffy versus 5 hundred for another Fluffy.......

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
20 years ago, I used to breed purebred champion pedigreed (all ancestors as Champions) Boxers. My Bitch (Ch. Vilverday Famous Amos --4 time National Champion as grandfather and great -grandfather) produced 2 Champions ( females), 15 females sold to breeders from Alaska to Texas, males: 3 police dogs,1 huge storage facility guard dog, 10 as pets/ family guard dogs. I sold all of her pups for $400 each at 6 weeks old and waiting lists for next 2 litters. Now one is lucky to escape with a $400 "rescue " bill (+ /- ) from a shakedown from a bleeding heart rescue group for a dog of questionable parentage , little or NO training, that lives to eat and generate huge vet. bills to the " rescuer". ( A 25 cent .22 would be an improvement.) Some of these dogs may be "cute" but most of them turn out to be a financial nightmare. How did WE degrade to this ? :idunno

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I once tried a new vet for a teeth cleanng on my dog. When I went to pick her up the bill was over $2,000 ( they bonded some of her teeth) Thats not counting the $450 in tests before the cleaning. I never asked price so had to pay it. I never went back to that vet.

$2,000??? O.O I just had my dog's teeth done at an anesthesia free dental for $155. Of course she's only 3 so this was her first cleaning and no extractions but....yikes!!

Latest posts