purple cone flower seeds

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have beautiful group of purple cone flower seeds. I need to save store and prepare them for growing next season. Anyone have suggestions?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I never saved coneflower seeds. I would guess that you would take the dried flower head and separate the seeds out, then put them in an envelope or a bag over the winter.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, that sounds right to me. But you might want to cover them with netting or something if you are going to let them dry on the stem very long. Birds love those things, and may eat all the seeds. I covered my biggest and as yet un eaten sunflower head with netting, to try to keep the gold finches out while it matures and dries. They have gotten to all the rest as soon as the seeds start forming.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cut the stems with dried seed heads at about 10 inches long. Bind them together with string or rubber band. Put them upside-down in a small paper bag. Once they are fully dry the seeds will fall off when the bag is shaken. You will have the seeds (and a lot of chaff) in the bag. Winnow the chaff or store the chaff with the seeds over the winter, or plant the seeds -- as for winter sowing -- and let them come up in the spring on their own.

Latest posts