Purple snap peas

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I hear ya on the purple thing! I'm a sucker for anything that is odd or "non traditional". Curious to hear replies to Carols question

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Here's a thread from HG all about cooked purple snap peas.

http://alanbishop.proboards.com/thread/7814/question-purple-snap-peas

I have never tried cooking a snap pea. Supposedly the purple ones will keep their color, depending on how you cook them.

I've decided that I'll be keeping the rest of my purple snap peas on the vine for increased seed stock, that's going to be a lot of seed. So if anybody else is interested I can put you on the list right below Annageckos and Baymule. I should be able to get at least some seed out to two or three more people.

annageckos

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I never cook snap peas either. We are lucky when they make it into the house. I'm diabetic and to me they are super sweet. They are my candy.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I bet they would make a beautiful salad. Do they like the same temps and climate as English peas? For me that would be early early spring.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Carol Dee and Mary, you're both on the list. Seed should be ready in another month or so. About 10 seeds will be perfect, might even throw in a few more. If you can save seed and pass them on!

Baymule, yup! They're pretty much just a type of English pea (I think you're referring to the shelly peas with the inedible pods?), difference is that the snap peas have sweet, edible pods and peas. By the way would about 10 seeds of each color of pea that I have be OK (maybe 5 for the colors that I don't have much of)?

Here's a picture of the the Sugar Magnolia purple snap peas. Forgot to get pictures of the fully purple snow peas -oops.
whatever 007.JPG

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@TheSeedObsesser I would be delighted and honored for any amount of seed you want to share! And yes, I was referring to the shelly peas. I have to plant them early here, like in February, they are done, done, in end of May.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We'll see how it all dishes out in a month or two, if all goes well I might as as many as twelve different varieties to send - about seven different colors and color combos. Mostly snow and snap peas but I do have one variety of shelly pea. You'll at least get a couple of peas that will mature fast enough to beat the heat, Golden Sweet should do well for you.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
SeedO thanks. Just a few varieties will do. As big as the garden is we are running out of room. LOL