Purple snap peas

annageckos

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Anyone ever heard of Sugar Magnolia Purple Snap Peas? I just found out about them and seeing as I have this thing for purple veggies I HAVE TO have some. I have found some for sale, but I've never heard of the sites? Anyone ever use Redwood seeds? Or how about Adaptive seeds? They both have them, I just need to do a bit more research.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've heard of them but never grown them, what I have grown is the purple snow pea 'Shiraz' from the U.K. This one is a deep purple, not overly sweet but nice and crunchy raw, seldom made it to the house :). I think a few people this side of the pond are growing them now. Annette

Shiraz Snow Peas in my garden in 2012
DSCN4229.jpg

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
oops, I forgot to add... I have ordered from Adaptive Seeds and was very pleased with what I got from them. You can find some of the hard to finds here. I think they're the only one selling 'Poletschka' pole beans.
Annette

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I grew purple cauliflower the past two winters. Separated into flowerettes, mixed with grated Cosmic Purple carrots, a few broccoli flowerettes tossed in, golden raisins and a glop of mayonnaise just to hold it together, is delicious and pretty to look at too! I love purple veggies too! @TheSeedObsesser has some purple snap peas, pictured on his garden journal.

Your purple Shiraz are beautiful! :love

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Annageckos, I'm growing them this year and they're doing great. If you can wait a month or so to get your seeds I would be happy to send some (I also have purple snow peas that I could send you). I originally ordered them from Adaptive, they had some pea weevil damage on the seeds, but I still got good germination from them. You can look at my Garden Journal thread for some pictures of the purple snow peas (I have both purple blush and full purple.) The Purple snow peas are unnamed varieties so you can call them whatever you like. Oh, and you have to pass seeds onto other gardeners when you grow them, that's the only thing that you have to do.

Like Aftermidnight said, Adaptive's good place to get the hard-to-finds. A good portion of their varieties aren't available commercially anywhere else in the U.S. I'm trying their Khabarovsk pole beans this year.

annageckos

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I would love it if you would send me some seeds. They are so pretty. Then I can plant them for the fall crop. I could pass some on to my friend too. She is moving and gardening for the first time. I can't think of a better way to start then with some awesome purple peas!

Last edited:

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That will work! A warning though - you might have to do a seed increase on some or all of the peas varieties, it all depends on how much dry seed that I get. I couldn't get the pea pictures today, I've been busy weeding, I will definitely get them tomorrow.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Do they hold their color when steamed? The purple pole beans did not . :( Raw in salads would be fun, tho.

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'd order your peas from Peace Seeds as that way you can order them direct from the breeder (Alan Kapuler) and you could also order yourself the yellow sugar snap pea called Opal Creek.

Latest posts