Purslane

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have been doing research on this little "weed" and I am wondering if what I have growing is purslane.

The first picture is a stock photo of purslane,the last two are growing as weeds in my garden.

I am just wary if there is a lookalike plant that might be poisonous.

Here is the low down on purslane:

Purslane (portulaca oleracea), also called verdolaga, pigweed, little hogweed, or pusley, is a weed, or is it? It is naturalized the world over and is a very very successful plant. It can grow in cold northern areas, it is succulent so it can withstand droughts (not unlike sedum actually), it can handle poor soils, and it has this neat trick whereby if it is uprooted it will use stored energy to produce seeds. So all those gardeners that uproot it as a weed and toss it elsewhere are really just spreading it. As such it can be invasive.

But is it a weed if it is a food crop, something cultivated for thousands of years in other parts of the world, and still eaten there today? A superfood with more omega-3s than any other leafy vegetable (so long spinach), as well as oodles of of other vitamins and cancer fighting antioxtidants and health benefits? A plant that is so versatile it can be eaten raw, sauted or stir-fried, even used in soups and stews? Supposedly it also has medicinal properties for a healthy GI tract.

purslane.jpg

purslane1.jpg

purslane2.jpg

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You have purslane! It grows like mad here. I eat it and I feed it to the ducks too. I just had some quiche I made with purslane, lamb's quarter's leaves, mushrooms, sweet potato leaves and onion with pepper jack cheese. Mmmmmmmmmmm!

The plant it looks like is spurge. But spurge does not have fleshy leaves, they are flat. The stems are also thinner.
prostrate-spurge.jpg

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I too have that spurge, its really easy to tell the difference between the two.

Hooray, I have a new free ingredient to cook with!

Love to get some great recipes for it now....

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The "fake purselane" will have a milky sap. Yours is purselane the fake one is darker, flater and when you snap a stem you'll see the milk sap.

Sunsaver

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
You have purslane! It grows like mad here. I eat it and I feed it to the ducks too. I just had some quiche I made with purslane, lamb's quarter's leaves, mushrooms, sweet potato leaves and onion with pepper jack cheese. Mmmmmmmmmmm!

The plant it looks like is spurge. But spurge does not have fleshy leaves, they are flat. The stems are also thinner.
http://www.hort.iastate.edu/courses/syllabi/hort351l/weeds/prostrate-spurge.jpg
WZ is right. You have the thick and fleshy leaves and stems of true purselane. There are one or two look-alikes, ("spurge") that the toxicity of has not yet been determined. WifeZ has good photos of this false purselane: thin stems and flat leaves. It's leaves are often darker in color than the bright, lime-green color of true purselane. The "fleshy" or "succulent" quality of purselane is th easiest to identify quality. Some are tart in flavor, and others have little or no taste at all.

calendula

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Funny you mention purslane, I am overrun with it right now. But, I found a recipe for potato purslane patties that I will be making tonight. If it turns out well, I'll post the recipe tomorrow.

cityfarmer

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Kassaundra said:
The "fake purselane" will have a milky sap. Yours is purselane the fake one is darker, flater and when you snap a stem you'll see the milk sap.
Sorry but I am confused by what you said. Does the fake purslane have a milky sap or the real purselane? I have a ton of one of somethinggrowing in my garden that I thought was just a really annoying weed. My concern is that the chickens won't touch it and if WZ duck's eat hers maybe mine is the fake stuff. I figure if the chickens won't eat maybe I shouldn't either, but they also eat slugs which I don't plan on incorporating into my diet. :D

Latest posts