Q on starting sweet potato slips

miss_thenorth

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
So it's been over two weeks for sticking some toothpicks in some sweet potatoes. I started with them up one way, and after not producing any slips, I flipped them over, and still nothing. They are in a warm spot. And I started out with what I thought were good yams. Is there anything I'm missing?

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hummmm.

Sounds like we started ours at about the same time. Mine developed roots pretty quickly. Now the little slips are starting to develop on the top side and the roots are really thick.

What kind of potato did you use and where did you get it?

I used 2 organic garnet sweet potatoes that I got from Vitamin Cottage.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Are these sweet potatoes from the store? If so, is it possible they were treated to retard/prevent sprouting, like they do with potatoes?

Pat

miss_thenorth

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Well, they were from the orchard where I get my apples from. that's probably what it was. so where does one buy untreated yams?

lupinfarm

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
:idunno I don't understand the treated vegetables... I get potatoes at Costco and they always sprout in a couple weeks when kept under the stairs in the little pantry.

miss_thenorth

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
Whole foods or vitamin cottage. Get some organics.
those stores aren't in Canada. I'll venture into town one these days and pick up some organic ones. Hope I'm not gonna be too late.:(

miss_thenorth

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I might be able to , but that really defeats the purpose of what i was trying to accomplish. :) I'm glad yours are doing well.

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Check your local farmers market and see if anyone wintered any sweet potatoes. You shouldnt have an issue in getting them to sprout.